cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with 4g connection

Anonymous
Not applicable
I recently bought a Sony xperia xa1. Since the very beginning I had problems making phone calls over Skype using my broadband data. I use Skype often ringing abroad and it's very frustrating. Whenever I try to make a call I get disconnected because 'Internet connection is too weak'. I could have 4 bars of signal, yet I can't make a call. There is no problem using WiFi though. Is this a device fault?
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

It could be any number of things to be honest. Even with good 4G signal there could be congestion on the network in your area. 

What phone did you have before?

Possibly you may be on the incorrect data bolt on so it's worth calling 202 to make sure it's the correct one. Sometimes when upgrading the bolt on reverts to the default blackberry setting.

Also text ACTIVE to 2020, save the settings sent to you and reboot the phone. 

Bear in mind too that the issue could be with the receiver's network or WiFi connection. 

Message 2 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. Thank you for your reply. Previously I used Motorola g4g and didn't have such issues, also I've been on O2 simplicity for last few years and didn't have similar problem until I bought xperia xa1.

It's worth to mention that when I first had this phone, this problem was occurring only occasionally but now it's persistent. Today I wanted to use up my remaining data allowance and couldn't because I couldn't make a connection over Skype. On all other things data works fine, browsing using apps etc.
Message 3 of 22

Jay6
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have the same issue with my iphone 8 - calling a landline using 4G does not connect the call.

i have used another network on the same phone with no issues!!!

Help.

Message 4 of 22

MI5
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Have you enabled wifi and 4g calling on your account?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 22

Jay6
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, yes i have wifi calling and 4g calling enables, 

this issue only started about 4 weeks ago..

Message 6 of 22

MI5
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Check if there are any network issues in your area first http://status.o2.co.uk/ then give customer services a call to check your account http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem still occurs. Tried to make a phone call last night and it's either doesn't connect or it makes the connection, person on the landline end can hear me but I can't hear a thing. Never had it with my old device so I wonder if that's the handset issue?
Message 8 of 22

MI5
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Might not be possible, but if you can try your sim in another phone in the same location it would indicate if it was your phone at fault.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 22

Jay6
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It cannot be the phone - there is an issue with o2

I have tried this with a different sim and had no issues.

Message 10 of 22