Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor or non-existent signal when in my house

Welshspark
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I hope someone can give me the heads up because we have two O2 accounts in my household both using the Samsung J5 2016 phones.

As soon as we get inside my house the signal drops to zero percent the only way both my wife and I can use the phone is to go outside, which dependant on the weather is not good.

My son who visits from time to time who is also on O2 but he uses an iPhone 7 edge and he has the exact same problem, short of moving house or cancelling my O2 accounts and moving to a different supplier say EE 

Does anyone know a fix for this problem?

Regards

Welshspark 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
I have the same problem but on Vodafone. My house has half metre thick stone walls....the signal just will not penetrate so indoors I tend to use the bathroom a lot as I know that the side of the house where the local mast is.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 2 of 6

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Try forcing the phone to 2g connection only.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@Welshspark If you're sure you would get a better signal with EE, not just in your home, but in all the places you frequent, then that's who your mobile provider should be. That's the definitive way to fix your problem. The only other thing you would need to consider is how long you have left on your current contracts, and how much it would cost you to switch.

If the reason you're not moving is because you think you have a good deal with O2, you need to think again. It can't be that good if you can't use your phones indoors at home.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 6

jezza1234
Level 12: Nimble
  • 341 Posts
  • 25 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

I have the same issue. 4g outside nothing inside.

I am able to use Wifi calling however which solves this problem nicely. Not usre if you can WiFi call on your Samsung. 

There are a number of WiFi calling apps in the app store. Maybe this is an option for you as most will offer free calling. 

Message 5 of 6

claldrid
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have the same issue. According to the 02 coverage checker we should have a great signal, indoors, outdoors and 4G. So in O2's opinion, that is gospel. However, in reality the signal is so poor the phones often cannot register on the network. It is the same for our neighbours so it is definitely this location.  O2 phones in this location are useless.

Other service providers (Vodafone/EE) 'service coverage app maps' show our area as a little blip island of poor signal reception within a sea of good signal (which is both accurate and true).

We had three 02 handsets in the household and despite 02's assurance of a good signal, we actually have either none or an unstable/unusable connection.

The situation is never going to be resolved because 02 say (and possibly believe) that this postcode a 'very good signal' area so will never upgrade or investigate the service.

Other than to move house, the solution has been to move to Vodafone as a provider, because although the normal Vodaphone signal is as poor here as the 02 (and EE) signal, Vodaphone provide a 'Signal Booster' and once installed (simply plug in and register the phone numbers) we all get five bars and impeccable connectivity.

Such a device would have been the answer to our 02 signal problem within our home, but I don't think that 02 have developed such solutions.

02 are like Jeremy Corbyn, 'for the many, not the few.' If you happen to find yourself one the few with a problem, 02 don't care because the majority of customers are okay and there is bound to be some spillage and thus the few that spill don't matter because they are expendable.

Vodafone mops up the few with their household connectvity booster.

Message 6 of 6