cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Play Store not working on WIFI

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since the Marshmallow update neither my wifes or my Samsung Galaxy A3 Play Store works on WIFI. Its fine on Mobile Data but on WIFI gives a connection timed out error.

We have tried the clearing cache, data etc. I even rest my phone back to factory default and still the same.

I went to a friends house and using their WIFI the Play Store worked so it must be something to do with my WIFI setup.

My router was failrly old so I have replaced with a new Netgear WIFI router - better speed and coverage and occasionally the Play Store has worked on WIFI on my phone but not the wifes.

Has anyone any clues, help, etc. as I cannot keep using my mobile data to update the phone or get new apps and using someone elses WIFI is not an answer.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous How's it going with this? It would be very interesting to hear back from you if you have any updated info. slight_smile

Message 21 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

Netgear are still looking at it - I also found that sending email from gmail is also an issue - fine on mobile data but not WIFI.

I tried to use the O2 WIFI by standing outside an O2 shop - it allowed me to see what apps needed updating in the playstore but would not download - probably as their shop WIFI network is so slow. I then went to Starbucks and used their WIFI phone updated wonderfully just like it does on mobile data.

It seems that Samsung need to update their software, but as I said chocolate teapots so a waiting game at the moment.

Message 22 of 32

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Or netgear, as the problem seems limited to their product.
Message 23 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just completed a stack of diagnostics for Netgear at least they are looking at the issue which is more than Samsung were willing to do all Samsung wanted was for me to go to one of their shops where an engineer would reinstall the Marshmallow update - I have two phone that have the same issue and I am sure the Samsung shop did not have any Netgear routers to test.

1. Enable Automatic date and time.
• Settings >> Date and Time
2. Reboot your phone.
3. Forget WiFi network then re-connect.
• Settings >> WiFi >> Tap the WiFi name your phone is currently connected to >> Forget network
4. Check if PlayStore is now working.
5. If not, try the following:
Clear PlayStore cache
• Settings >> Apps >> PlayStore >> Clear Cache
Assign a static DNS on your phone.
• Settings >> WiFi >> Tap and hold the WiFi name your phone is currently connected to >> Select Modify > Show Advanced Settings
• Set IP settings to static
• Leave the IP address and Gateway as is
• Change DNS 1 to 8.8.8.8 and DNS 2 to 8.8.4.4
• Tap on Save
Uninstall PlayStore update
• Settings >> Apps >> PlayStore >> Uninstall Update
Re-login your Google account.
• Go to Settings > Accounts > Google
• Tap your primary Google account
• Open options from right top corner, click remove account
• Now open Play Store, it will ask you to login your Google account again
Disable Enhanced LTE Services

Tried most of them before but went through them to ensure it was still a problem with the Playstore and it was. Only thing I did not do was Disable Enhamced LTE Services as I have no idea how that is done.

Also they requested a screen shot of Netgear router settings - I will let you know what happens next.

Message 24 of 32

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

The link on LTE did not help do not seem to have any options to turn off - but thanks for posting.

No news from Netgear recently will chase next week.

Updated phone and hotel we stopped at this week, marvellous how it works in most places apart from home 😞

Samsung got back to me - "I recommend performing a factory data reset" - useless - they have not read any of the history of the issue - a typical large company fob off... ah well at least its not a tumble dryer..

Message 26 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

Netgear support have been excellent - the use of a D6400 has cured the issue. I have asked Netgear what the difference is between the D6000 and D6400 that has fixed the problem, I will post when I have the answer.

Netgear 10/10

Samsung 0/10

Message 27 of 32

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Thought it would be the router at fault.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 28 of 32

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Not really fair to give Samsung 0/10 on someone elses faulty gear..
Message 29 of 32

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Not really fair to give Samsung 0/10 on someone elses faulty gear..

Quite!

Message 30 of 32