Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTA updates for Pixel 2 XL

hayw77
Level 3: Thinker
  • 33 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

On the Google Pixel Community Boards, it seems that UK owners of the Pixel 2 XL who use O2 are not able to receive security patch updates OTA, without removing the sim and doing a factory reset each time. Apparently no such problems with EE. Anyone here experiencing the same issue?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

hayw77
  • 33 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Many thanks to Chris, Cleoriff and MI5 for working this issue.

Chris are we likely to see a delay with the December OTA and 8.1 updates? or do you think it will be timely ?
Message 11 of 23

adrianbridgett
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Looks like "no" is the answer 😞 I realise that less than a day has gone by, however one of the big reasons people purchase a Google phone is to get timely updates.

Message 12 of 23

hayw77
  • 33 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Hi Adrian, I have just acquired an EE PAYG sim which I will temporarily use in my phone just to receive the December updates if O2 are late this time.
Message 13 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris_K Are we gonna be waiting again for update 8.1? EE sim users have started to receive it today and I was hoping o2 would be on the ball after the November update.

Message 14 of 23

PennyR
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

After the debacle in November, I was hoping the update to 8.1 would reach my Pixel as quickly as it always has in the past. I haven't received the December update for my Pixel-C tablet yet so I guess we must wait patiently for a little longer - I never, ever want to carry out a SIMless FDR again as long as I live! 🙂

Penny

Message 15 of 23

hayw77
  • 33 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
I haven't received the update on my 6P yet. I also did a simple swap with my PAYG EE sum but still no luck. My friend who has a 5X on Giffgaff has received the OTA update however.
Message 16 of 23

adrianbridgett
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Gave up expecting anything from O2. So far:

- no update on this firmware fiasco

- "underground wifi" says you have to use an app that no longer exists

- VoLTE instructions and details on website are inconsistent ("your account has 4g calling", but then the phone is listed as "not supported" (it's _perfectly_ capable of it) and phone info says it's not provisioned.

- website in general is a maze of "more info see here" pages often with old/incorrect/contradictory info

- signed up for 12GB/month and this is 3GB + two bolts ons so show up oddly... why make life complicated?

Sorry but this really isn't a good user experience.  

I just sideloaded using these instructions (all seems fine, no loss of data): https://drive.google.com/file/d/18ZWAxd3qa1p61ZtFhbz-fGr66FJCqviM/view

You could also try these instructions:

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-manually-upgrade-pixel-nexus#ota

Firmware itself from:

https://developers.google.com/android/ota

Message 17 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@adrianbridgett  I agree...pathetic user experience (particulary the part about the out of date website) You could always complain ..https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

You may get a gesture of goodwill if your complaint is comprehensive and upheld...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 23

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey, Pixel and Pixel 2 users.

I know there's been a few comments these last few days and I get it. If there's an update been released for my phone, I'd want it too. Please see below some updates that I hope helps.

Where's the December update?
We sent our approvals back to Google last week and it's currently with them to release to our customers. At this stage, it's all down to Google - once we send them our approvals, we swap from the driving seat to the passenger seat. We're expecting this to be available ASAP/imminently.

What's the update process?
It's similar in some ways to our normal update process for the likes of a Sony or Samsung device (for example) purchased directly from O2:

1) We receive the update to test/approve
2) We return our approval back to Google
3) Google then filter the update through their systems for it to become available for customers

Why was November late?
Unfortunately there was a mix-up with our APN settings being applied and it was this that caused the delay, as we had to await new software to test.

This was out-of-the-norm and we don't expect such delays with future updates, though we still need to test and perform due dilligence to ensure updates don't negatively impact our network or cause network issues for customers. In general, we aim to release these updates at around the same time as other networks (give or take a day or so here & there (as per the December update, we already approved this - it may take Google a few days from then to release it)

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 19 of 23

hayw77
  • 33 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Chris
Thanks very much, appreciate the clarification. Could I ask if it is the same process for the older Nexus 5X and 6P devices which are also scheduled to receive the update?
Cheers
Colin
Message 20 of 23