cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 free WiFi problems

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi i'm hoping to resolve an issue with my phone using o2 WiFi in Subway. I did post a similar post about 1 month ago but didn't get real solution. My phone can recognise that there is a connection there, and sometimes it loads the o2 WiFi free sign in page, but 9/10 times it's connected but has 'no internet connection'. I have downloaded the app and deleted my devices from o2 WiFi (including an old iPhone) and then re-registered my number. Lastly the frustrating thing is that sometimes I do get a connection but not for more than 15 mins. I actually work in the store and I've phoned the o2 helpdesk is working fine by the o2 WiFi techies and it has good strength and good speed.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Find out the ip range and set a static ip address on the phone that's within the range.
Also, do you know what frequency the wifi is transmitting on?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your response MI5. I will try the static IP tomorrow, but afraid i do not know the frequency
Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Let us know how it goes.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Tries static IP yesterday but wasn't sure on what settings to enter. Someone I work with suggested I needed to put in my phones IP address which I could only find at home yesterday evening on Google (I have no mobile data). The guy I worked with did try his IP address though as he is having the same issue but to no avail. If that's even the correct thing to do?
Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You need an ip within the range of what's set in the router defaults and one that isn't set by the dynamic allocation routine already.
Rhe router will have a range something like 192.168.10.1 to 192.168.10.99 for example.
Every time someone joins the router will allocate the next available ip so if 10 users on system the allocated ip will be 192.168.10.10.
Set your phone static to something outside of all probable used it's so something like 192.168.10.75

Currently using:
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks will try that slight_smile
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello again

The default IP is 192.168.1.128

I tried entering the 192.168.10.75 to test b ut no result. I tried a bunch of numbers between 1-128 too. 

When I select this on my phone I also get the option of proxy - none, manual or proxy auto-config if that is at all relevent.

Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Auto config of proxy is best to try, but in all honesty it doesn't sound like your phone is ever gonna connect in it's current configuration.
I don't know from here it that's because of an account issue or a phone issue though.
A factory reset might fix it but I wouldn't want to say for certain, so might be an idea first to get CS to remove your number and all details from the wifi system so you can try registering from a fresh start again.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I think calling them is best now. Thank you for your time these past few days you've been really helpful.

All the best

Message 10 of 12