Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No voice instructions in Google maps

Franco999
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 15 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Please can anyone help?  I have a Sony Xperia Z5 compact that I have started to use for navigating since my Garmin sat nav stopped working. 

The Maps app is version 9.51.1 (#951100223).  In navigation settings, I can only sometimes hear the voice when I 'play test sound' and it never gives voice instructions when I am navigating.  The voice setting is 'louder' and NOT muted.  The GPS works fine.

I considered uninstalling the app and then reinstalling, but I have only the choice of 'disable' or 'force stop'.

What can I do to solve the problem?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
When you play the test sound press volume up at the same time as the volume may be muted.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

Franco999
  • 15 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for the prompt reply.  I tried this again, even though the sound is shown as Not muted.  I hear the test voice, but I still do not receive voice instructions when navigating.

Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You have a conflict or a glitch somewhere I guess then.
Might be worth considering backing up and factory resetting.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 13

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Franco999 How are you getting on with the sound? Did you manage to fix it?

Message 5 of 13

Franco999
  • 15 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have an IT and phone savvy friend and I told him the problem over a drink.  I put in Home and immediately heard voice instructions to start the journey.  He laughed when I could not demonstrate the problem.  When I went to the car to go home, no voice instructions forthcoming.  I think that the voice has a mind of her own and I shall call her Chucky!

Message 6 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Does the phone connect to car via bluetooth?
If so, you'll need to increase the volume on the car system.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 13

Franco999
  • 15 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

The phone does connect via bluetooth.  I will crank up the volume for the radio and see if that makes a difference.

Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Mine has different volume settings for the phone from the radio but you can only adjust the phone volume when the phone is transmitting some voice or music.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 13

Franco999
  • 15 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Tried the volume, but bluetooth is only active for calls.  I downloaded Waze as an alternative to Google maps, but the problem persists.  I sometimes hear voice instructions at the very start of navigation, but nothing once I am on the move.  This now appears to be a problem either with the phone or me, but I am no closer to solving it.

Message 10 of 13