cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this possible? (strange issue with battery life)

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
So today for no reason (no app updates or anything recently) I noticed that my battery was dying quicker than normal when on 4G but doesn't die as quick on wifi. When I wasn't using the phone the battery life was as expected so wasn't a wakelock. It was only when using the phone and using data that the battery % went down a lot quicker than normal. A thought came to me that maybe the mast is having issues and draining more battery? Anyway I asked a friend where I work also on o2 and he noticed more battery drain today than usual. Interestingly there was also work on the mast where we both work yesterday. So is it possible that the mast is faulty or having issues, and draining the battery more than normal? Signal is fine and doesn't drop
Message 1 of 77
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

It turns out that it was a server side problem that caused Facebook and Facebook Messenger to drain our poor andriods batteries on Tuesday, glad thats solved!

http://www.pcmag.com/news/350961/facebook-restart-messenger-app-to-fix-battery-drain

View solution in original post

Message 64 of 77
76 REPLIES 76

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

To be honest I would only expect that if the phone was trying to latch onto a weak 4G signal? Have you tried switching to 3G to see if you have the same issues Paul?

Message 2 of 77

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27664 Solutions
Weirdly, I've had to put my phone on charge today - I've done nothing different but the battery has plummeted today.
I was going to have a look at what had updated recently later to see if was an app update.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 77

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
3g is worse. Ive asked 4 people in the office and all reporting the same. So its certainly an o2 issue somewhere
Message 4 of 77

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@paulbacon wrote:
3g is worse. Ive asked 4 people in the office and all reporting the same. So its certainly an o2 issue somewhere

It would certainly seem like an o2 problem given the facts especially if others are having the same battery issues.

Message 5 of 77

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Aye. Might call into my local o2 shop next to work. See if they have any reports of issues

Imagine if i phoned up to report a fault they will say its a phone issue as its certain unusual
Message 6 of 77

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

The store would be the best bet but I would expect them to deny an o2 issue.

Message 7 of 77

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

The store would be the best bet but I would expect them to deny an o2 issue.

Same, but least the staff will be on the same mast in there, so would be able to confirm if they're noticing anything. I suspect if it is a mast issue this wont be an easy one to convince o2

Message 8 of 77

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Get this now on the status page

"Sorry we're currently investigating reports that a phone mast in this area isn't working."

Will CS have more details on whether this is related to what we're experiencing?
Message 9 of 77

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27664 Solutions
Probably not....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 77