cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy s3 - black screen

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys

my galaxy s3 has been experiencing a major problem.

When using any app  the phone freezes and the screen goes black. The only way to restore the phone is to reboot it. This also happens when I leave the phone alone, I pick it up and try to unlock the screen but it stays black and a reboot is required.

The phone isnt new and has been working perfectly for at least 6 months.. I think it may be related to the recent firmware update.

My phone is on - 4.1.2  Build XXELL4

I've googled around and tried some suggested fixes such as clearing the touchwiz cache and turning off the wifi power saving feature from the *#0011# menu but no joy.

I've heard that a firmware update to build XXELLA may fix this issue. Any idea when this will be rolled to my O2 branded UK phone?

Many thanks

Mo

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi no-fear, XXELLA (Android 4.2) is available for o2 Galaxy s3. Open Kies, connect phone through data cable and it should flag up that the upgrade is available. In the process of doing my S3 at the moment.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi no-fear, XXELLA (Android 4.2) is available for o2 Galaxy s3. Open Kies, connect phone through data cable and it should flag up that the upgrade is available. In the process of doing my S3 at the moment.

Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Keffer

Thanks for the reply.

I've just connected my phone to KIES and it says im already on the latest firmware version 😞

Are you based in the UK?

Thanks

Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, based in UK. I had Android 4.1.2 and Kies flagged up that new firmware was available, version 4.2 of Android. Don't know if it makes any difference, but my phone is unlocked although I use O2 as my network. Do you have the latest version of Kies?

Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

ahh, that probably explains it, my phone is 02 branded (not unlocked) so i'm going to have to wait for 02 to roll out the firmware.

As your phone is unlocked, your phones firmware comes direct from Samsung and doesnt need to go via 02.

Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh well, was worth a try. Hope you get things sorted soon. Not sure when O2 will roll out 4.2 for the S3 though.

Message 6 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

Its not 4.2 its still 4.1.2 with a security fix. Black screen crashing is probably an OS conflict. Back up and factory reset. XXELLA is the latest version.

Android Version: 4.1.2 – Build JZO54K

PDA: I9300XXELLA

CSC: I9300OXAELLA

MODEM: I9300XXELLA

Build Date: 22-12-12

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct MI5, just checked and still 4.1.2 version.

Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for helping out, keffer! slight_smile
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

i've just talked to samsung said the security update fix wasnt released till the 1/1/13 and as yet i9300xxeella hasnt been released by o2 yet i allso talked to a guru who didnt even know about the update for the exynos security hole and the motherboard sudden death syndrome on th s3

Message 10 of 14