cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the S8 be unlocked almost straight away?

jdee640
Level 1: Joiner
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

I have pre-ordered a Samsung Galaxy S8+ on a business contract but am hearing conflicting reports about how soon I can unlock it.

I live in the Republic of Ireland during the week and use a different network down here (3). I'd like to be able to use this sim card in the new phone once I get it from O2.

I went onto live chat and they said that I can only request an unlock 12 months after getting the phone, but not sure whether this is true as I heard that was for PAYG only?

Does anyone have any insights.. and I also heard that the device will lock to the first sim card that's put into it. What's stopping me from putting the 3 sim card into it first and then asking o2 why my o2 sim doesn't work?

Cheers,

Jack

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well done. Got my S8 on the 20/04/17 very happy. As i am going overseas i asked to be unlocked online. next day I got the unlocking code inserted a EE sim card reboot and got this message sim network pn blocked. Enter sim network PUK tried a few time inserting the EE Sim PUK unsucessful tried to enter the unloacking code unsucessful. and a chat with 02 they arranging for new code. But received email with same code. Spoke again with 02 and was told that they will not be unloacking the S8 I am so upset as not knowing what to do but just return the phone and go elsewhere.

Message 11 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
That's asking for the EE sim pin - it's nothing to do with unlocking the phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@soulframe wrote:

I can confirm that my O2 S8 plus that I picked up on Thursday has been unlocked! Fantastic

I made a few calls, around 30 minutes in total then requested it to be unlocked through the 'My O2 App' on Friday morning after having used it for 24 hours.

Just got an email with my unlatching code on it. Put in a foreign sim 'Orange 4G Tunisia' and all done

Plus got an extra 20% off of my airtime when I collected the device in my local O2 store.

Got to say, O2 have made me very happy!

That's great news - thanks for letting us know.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 14

JaseIAm
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

This is really odd.. as the unlocking web page says that the s8 and s8+ cannot be unlocked unless the device has been paid off in full.

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-networ...

Argh, so annoying!

I use O2 for my work and EE for personal, would really like to get all my new devices on 'refresh'.

I normally stick my work o2 sim in a cheep handset (I work outside and phones get wrecked) and then have my personal ee sim in a nice phone with TuGo back to the work number.

Oh well.

Jase. 

Message 14 of 14