cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the S8 be unlocked almost straight away?

jdee640
Level 1: Joiner
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

I have pre-ordered a Samsung Galaxy S8+ on a business contract but am hearing conflicting reports about how soon I can unlock it.

I live in the Republic of Ireland during the week and use a different network down here (3). I'd like to be able to use this sim card in the new phone once I get it from O2.

I went onto live chat and they said that I can only request an unlock 12 months after getting the phone, but not sure whether this is true as I heard that was for PAYG only?

Does anyone have any insights.. and I also heard that the device will lock to the first sim card that's put into it. What's stopping me from putting the 3 sim card into it first and then asking o2 why my o2 sim doesn't work?

Cheers,

Jack

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

12 months is right for pay as you go but it's usually a month after the phone is released that you can unlock it

Message 2 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No restrictions on an S8 as far as we know currently so if it is locked (not all will be) you should be able to unlock it immediately and no, it won't lock to the first sim, that's complete rubbish.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 14

jdee640
Level 1: Joiner
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Alright cheers guys, much appreciated 🙂
Message 4 of 14

soulframe
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 14 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have the exact same question. One customer service agent told me that you would need to pay off the device in full before an unlock code is generated (like the iphones). Then another told me you would need to have had the device for 2-3 months before an unlock code could be generated.

They said they know for sure when it is released.

It would be a shame if they treated the the S8 the same as the iphone in terms of unlocking policy. There are a lot of people who use local sim cards when they go abroad. O2 Travel is good for Europe and other countries where it works, if your there for a short time but local sims can be cheaper to use in certain countries.

If I have to pay off my device in full before being able to unlock it then I shall be cancelling my upgrade with O2 and upgrading with Carphone Warehouse as their handsets are sold unlocked.

Message 5 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Indeed, no one will know until launch but there is a good indication that it will be OK as it isn't (as yet) excluded from Open.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

What I've found is that the people in O2 Chat, often do not know what they are talking about!

Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What I've found is that the people in O2 Chat, often do not know what they are talking about!

We've been saying that for years 

Message 8 of 14

soulframe
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 14 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I can confirm that my O2 S8 plus that I picked up on Thursday has been unlocked! Fantastic

I made a few calls, around 30 minutes in total then requested it to be unlocked through the 'My O2 App' on Friday morning after having used it for 24 hours.

Just got an email with my unlatching code on it. Put in a foreign sim 'Orange 4G Tunisia' and all done

Plus got an extra 20% off of my airtime when I collected the device in my local O2 store.

Got to say, O2 have made me very happy!

Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@soulframe wrote:

I can confirm that my O2 S8 plus that I picked up on Thursday has been unlocked! Fantastic

I made a few calls, around 30 minutes in total then requested it to be unlocked through the 'My O2 App' on Friday morning after having used it for 24 hours.

Just got an email with my unlatching code on it. Put in a foreign sim 'Orange 4G Tunisia' and all done

Plus got an extra 20% off of my airtime when I collected the device in my local O2 store.

Got to say, O2 have made me very happy!

Message 10 of 14