Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 7 on HTC One M9

MadAdaM
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Now that HTC have officially released Nougat for the HTC One M9 (and M10), can you advise when the O2 OTA upgrade will be available?
Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

MadAdaM
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous

Curious - removing the Google account & adding it back again fixed it for me. Factory reset should have done much the same job. These are the steps I followed in detail if you still have the patience to try again...

go to "Apps" on Settings
scroll down to "Google Play Store"
click "Force Stop"
click "Storage"
"clear data" and "clear cache"
exit "Apps"
go to "Accounts & Sync" in settings
click "Google"
click the three dots top right of the screen...
click "Remove account"
accept any warnings
back in "Accounts & sync" - click the "+" sign to add a new account
select "Google" and enter your Google account login details

You then have to wait a few minutes for Google Play to sync to the servers and get all your installed app details updated. You should start to see apps getting updated when it eventually syncs.

That worked for me - if it doesn't for you you may need to re-install Google Play / Google Play Services (uninstall and download the APK)...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/454723-why-my-play-store-screen-showing-blank.html

http://choilieng.com/apk-on-pc/com.google.android.gms.apk

Message 31 of 47

MadAdaM
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@MI5

Why would you bother to post something so unconstructive?
Message 32 of 47

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27670 Solutions
It's a simple question?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 33 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MadAdaMThanks for the write up but I have tried all that. Also reinstalled Google Play & Google Play Services, factory reset etc. Spoke at length to Google on the advice of o2 but that didn't help and they just blamed it on a h/w fault !!

@MI5The reason I believe o2 are involved is that I have a contract with them. o2 put a wrapper around the OS and all the searching I've done on the web suggests that it is only on o2 & HTC M9. I've looked on Voda's forum's and they released Nougat a couple of weeks before o2 (nothing new there then) and there is no mention of it. I'm trying to get o2 to re-flash the device however, that appears to be a challange as 2 out of the 3 stores local to me don't have 'gurus' when they are supposed to have!!

Message 34 of 47

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27670 Solutions
Fair enough but yes, it's only a skin.
They don't write the firmware. You might be better off sending the phone to HTC to be looked at just in case there is a problem.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 35 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just back from visiting a Guru in the o2 store. I may report to trading standards as guru mean master/teacher/expert but the person involved couldn't even connect the phone to the laptop!

However, she did try to convince me to upgrade at my cost!!!

My contract is with o2 and NOT HTC so o2 need to take responsibility and deal with HTC if they think it is there fault. o2 is almost making Vodfone look good. At least they offer money off when there is an issue unlike o2 where they are trying to make money.

Message 36 of 47

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27670 Solutions
We are fully aware of who your contract is with and also how ineffective o2 are at sorting issues such as this, hence the advice (based on experience) to contact the device manufacturer.
But at the end of the day, it's your choice.

Currently using:
Message 37 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried the update again today.

Says initial update that was downloaded was corrupt. Able to download again. Sucessfully. Phone reboots then hangs there with a red triangle indicating failed. Eventually resets as Android 6. Don't get anywhere near Play.

I'm not in a hurry and to be honest there is not a lot that excites me with Android 7. There will be issues with Apps that I have loaded that arn't quite ready like Yahoo mails latest upgrade which is causing some fellow android users greif. Especially annoying to me the forced ad.  Grrrr!

When I get a new phone I will have Andoird 7. My current works just fine. HTC10 or 11. Not inerested in the HTC Ultra's as no dedicated headphone jack

Message 38 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the update showing for weeks now but haven't been able to get it to install. I got my HTC One M9 from mobiles.co.uk with an O2 monthly contract, phone locked to the O2 network and never tampered with or changed the O2 firmware wrapper.

The update downloads, reboots and starts to update but fails at 25% every time giving a black screen with red exclamation mark in a red triangle, then it reboots to whatever version of Android 6 was installed beforehand.

I've tried;

* making sure the phone tries again from a fresh download file - same problem

* rebooting phone - same problem

* clearing the phone cache - same problem

* hard resetting the phone (full data wipe) through the normal phone operating system menu - same problem

* hard resetting the phone through the recovery mode boot menu and clearing the phone cache through the recovery mode boot menu - same problem

So after resorting to factory resetting my phone I still can't get the damn thing to install. It also seems like the Nougat version number has changed slightly over the last few weeks so it seems to have gone through two version numbers and still doesn't work.

Any updates or help with this?

I read somewhere last week that some phones bought in the UK that aren't sold directly through the network company itself can sometimes be imported from other countries with firmware originating from that foreign country, which can affect android updates being installed if it thinks it's meant to be installing to a specific UK firmware. I wouldn't be surprised if mobiles.co.uk had done something like this because they also messed up my cashback option that I took with the sale through their website and they will do anything to try and be the cheapest option to buy - so I don't have much faith in them. Does anyone know how to confirm what country your phone's firmware originates from or how to flash it with basic O2 UK firmware to be absolutely sure it's not some kind of firmware problem? It's about the only other thing I can think of which might be why the update works for a few people and not others - other than O2 or Google being completely useless and blaming each other rather than fixing the problem.

I'm now stuck with an earlier factory version of Android 6 that I can't even update to the latest Android 6 version anymore, as only the Android 7 version is showing now and none of the previous Android 6 updates. Would appreciate any help!

Thanks

Message 39 of 47

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27670 Solutions
Your phone will only download firmware that matches the country code that is already installed so it's nothing to do with it being a "foreign" phone.
It's also a common HTC problem which a factory reset usually fixes so as yours isn't responding to that "fix" you need to speak to HTC for help.

Currently using:
Message 40 of 47