cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All I want is a definitive set of steps to cover unlocking and porting a number....

Halesowenmum
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I hav an HTC One M8 (the least relevant piece of info possibly but there it is if needed!).

I've been sat here like a lemon since 11.50am waiting for live chat which now finally at 2.07pm they have decided is totally not workng or all the staff are at home having fallen sick, and it's not even available at all any more. Way to go O2.

I have had repeated conflicting and changing instructions on how to:

Unlock my phone

Port my number.

I am switching to Sky SIM and have been told different things by different people from both providers and am now so confused I literally cannot start the process at all because I have zero confidence that I have the correct instructions. 

O2's instructions say to:

a. Insert the other network's SIM card

b. This should ask for a code

c. Key in the unlatching code provided by us at O2

d. The device should now be unlatched.

Contracted by what Sky says:

1. Unlock my HTC O2-purchased phone using the unlatching code provided by O2 leaving the original O2 SIM still in place
  2. Fill in the form online located somewhere on Sky.com (to do with porting the number)
  3. 'No service' appears on the phone screen
  4. Remove the O2 SIM
  5. Insert Sky SIM
  6. Activate the Sky SIM code on their website using the Sky activation code on the SIM card, which will port the number over.

What I need is 100% accurate, crystal clear instructions that I can follow, step by step, in the right order so this doesn’t see me totally unable to make any calls or get on the internet or for my children to be unable to contact me. I haven’t been able to get clear steps in a consistent order from ANYONE. Can someone kindly look at all the various steps above and tell me definitively, in what order do I do which steps so that the entire process will work correctly?

Thank you, Desperate Confused Woman.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Halesowenmum
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks but sadly I'm not sure following the unlocking thing has been the right thing to do. As I said I already have the unlatching code - now it's telling me I may have to wait two days to find out what to do next?! But I already waited and already got the code to unlock it! 

Message 3 of 22

Halesowenmum
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I already have my unlocking code, I already have my Sky SIM activation code, I already have the Sky SIM.... I just wanna switch over 

More info

Message 4 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Sky have nothing to do with unlocking your phone at all.
That has to be done by following the o2 guide posted above.
Once you receive the code, you then replace your o2 sim with the sky sim which may ask you for the code you have received.
I say may ask you as sky uses O2 Network so it may just work without unlocking the phone.
To move your number to sky you need your pac from o2, which is again linked to above.
Once you have your o2 pac you need to call sky or complete their online form (not o2’s) and tell them your pac so that your number can port to sky, usually a couple of days after you have requested it.
You will need to have your sky sim registered and working before you can start the number port.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Halesowenmum wrote:

Thanks but sadly I'm not sure following the unlocking thing has been the right thing to do. As I said I already have the unlatching code - now it's telling me I may have to wait two days to find out what to do next?! But I already waited and already got the code to unlock it! 

@Halesowenmum What is telling you that you have to wait two days to find out what to do? If you want to keep your existing number you need a PAC from O2. Easiest way to do that is to call Customer Service. Porting of numbers does not happen on weekends.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 22

Halesowenmum
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It says:

Your request has been submitted

We'll usually contact you within 24 hours of submitting your request, but sometimes it can take up to seven days.

Link: Back to my O2

Back in contact about what, I've already got the blessed unlatching code - do you see why I'm getting REALLY frustrated at the moment. Whatever instruction I'm given it appears to be the wrong thing and I'm just going round in circles getting nowhere! 

Thank you for replying slight_smile

Has what I've done now just killed dead my existing live unlatching code?
Message 7 of 22

Halesowenmum
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok. I've just received by email a repeat of the unlatching code already received. So clearly following that link doesn't actually unlock your phone and so I go back to my original request. Can someone take the mix of instructions I've been given before and put them i the right order for me? 

Message 8 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Halesowenmum wrote:

I already have my unlocking code, I already have my Sky SIM activation code, I already have the Sky SIM.... I just wanna switch over 

More info

Ok, so now put your sky sim in your phone. 

If it asks for an unlock code or NUK enter the unlock code from o2.

if not, just progress to activating your sky sim with the code sky have given you. 

Once the sky sim is active, call or send your o2 pac to sky for the porting to start next week. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Halesowenmum I suggest you speak to Customer Service. You can call for free on 202 from your mobile. They should be able to talk you through whatever it is you're having an issue with.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 22