cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

02 refusing to repair a faulty phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm at the end of my tether with the situation I have found myself in.

Been with O2 for a very very long time and not really had any issues with service (customer) and service (reception/data etc)

However in March and after what seemed like 100's of calls from O2 I decided to upgrade my phone and take out a new contract going from a simplicity tariff to a monthly tariff. A bit of faffing and haggling etc I decided on the LG-E960 aka Nexus 4. I didn't use the phone for around a month as I was to busy and wanted to transfer all my apps data etc in my own time.

On 15th May I started using the phone. All was bliss until 21st May when upon answering a call the screen just went black and refused to illuminate anything. The phone was sent away for repair and a replacement was sent back to me and I was up and running again on May25th.

After lots of complaints from friends & customers saying they couldn't get through to me, as well as not being able to receive mms properly (APN checked about 1000 times) and then the phone not being able to receive mobile data unless through wifi I contacted customer services on Sunday 2nd June.

Told possible settings-checked and double checked and all the usual things done-on off etc etc

Then advised it may be sim faulty-so off to an O2 store and swap sim (except the plum in shop didn't register new sim so no service at all). Called customer services and sim swap done over phone on Monday 3rd. Settings checked and double checked again.

By Monday evening it was obvious that phone still not working properly and no data received which was a right royal pain in the backside as needed to get prices from internet for a customer!

Customer services then said to take into Store and see guru (lol) & they would check phone.

Tuesday 3rd June After being patronised by guru who said settings were wrong he changed settings and then guess what-phone still doesn't work (they were the correct settings anyway).Phone sent off for repair.

Now the fun really begins...

Today Wednesday 4th at approx 18.45, I get a text to say phone repair not covered by warranty and to call (now shut store) for a repair quote! 

After calling O2 they said they can't 100% confirm this, but this would only happen if the phone had suffered some form of physical damage-which it certainly hasn't. Of course anyone that can help me in any way has gone home for the evening-which means I now spend tomorrow wasting my time, effort and money on this again.

Also, when the phone was repaired first time-it stated phone was repaired. The imei on the repair slip was the same as the box. However on checking the receipt for the latest repair it has a completely different imei number which suggests that either someone at O2 has swapped it or the phone I received was not repaired but replaced.

Either way the whole mess stinks!!

After checking and

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146779 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28246 Solutions
Unfotunately it's not an uncommon complaint. The repairers are rip off merchants and O2 refuse to acknowledge the fact. I suggest CAB be your next call if you get nowhere with the store tomorrow.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unbelievable all this-was very happy with O2. It's true what they say that you only really know what a company is like until something goes wrong-well now I know!!

I still can't see how they can even try and wriggle out of it as the phone is less than 2 weeks old as replacement/repair-what ever they did?? (conflicting info from O2) but it is obviously a different phone as the IMEI is different. It was only used since May 15th and was repaired on May 21st.

Fact is phone is faulty, was checked by guru who confirmed faults and obviously no other damage etc. I have the repair receipt which states "in warranty" and the fault is listed as a "disrupted connection"

For the record the repair centre are Anavo? They are asking me to stump up £28.81 for the non manufacters fault.

If there is a fault (obviously there is) then what fault cannot be covered by the guarantee!

Matter is now with CEO office, but this is **bleep** unbelievable **bleep**. O2 you know what you can do!!

Message 3 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the **bleep** from the repair centre

Thank you for sending your Mobile Phone to us for Repair. Unfortunately your handset is not covered under the manufacturer’s warranty so we have raised the following estimate for you:
O2 Retail | [OOW] All Other (A) - Software

Estimated Cost:  
Grand Total: £28.81

This is a fixed price estimate based upon a pre-repair assessment of your handset.
The job may be subject to re-estimate if other components are found to be faulty, or if the product is not on our current supported list.

Action Required:  
The following options are available:
1) Accept the estimate.
2) Refuse the estimate and authorize the destruction of the handset free of charge.
3) Refuse the estimate and request the return of the product.
Message 4 of 19

MI5
  • 146779 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28246 Solutions
I wonder what they think they can fix for 28 quid?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 19

Rycal
Level 19: Quirky
  • 435 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 47 Solutions

Just wondering, have you at any point attempted to root the device and load custom software on it?

I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.

Message 6 of 19

MI5
  • 146779 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28246 Solutions

Legally (and it has been proved in court) a warranty cannot be voided on the grounds of rooting a device...... A reflash of stock firmware is all that is required anyway to put phone back to factory condition.

Message 7 of 19

Rycal
  • 435 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 47 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Legally (and it has been proved in court) a warranty cannot be voided on the grounds of rooting a device...... A reflash of stock firmware is all that is required anyway to put phone back to factory condition.

Anovo can refuse to fix or replace a handset on the basis that it has been rooted, in which case a fee can be generated for the process of reflashing it.

I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.

Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rycal wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Anovo can refuse to fix or replace a handset on the basis that it has been rooted, in which case a fee can be generated for the process of reflashing it.

Proving Rip Off Merchants!

Message 9 of 19

Rycal
  • 435 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 47 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Rycal wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Proving Rip Off Merchants!

Rooting voids the warranty so they are well within their rights to charge to reflash it.

Message 10 of 19