Science in British Sign Language

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

I wanted to share some news I've read with you 🤓

Liam Mcmulkin, a student of life Sciences at the University of Dundee who was born deaf, grew frustrated at the lack of complex scientific terms in British Sign Language during classes. He explained that some of the scientific words being very long, meant that interpreters during lectures were often finger spelling those words for a long time and it was very tiring to watch and follow.

He decided to tackle this problem, and with funding from the BSDB Gurdon Summer Studentship and The Robertson Trust, began inventing new signs for scientific terms, making science more accessible for all. Liam invented over a hundred new signs, which are now recognised by British Sign Language and used across the country. 

I thought this was a really amazing initiative, and made me think about what other gaps might be out there 🤔

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

What an absolutely brilliant initiative from this young student @EmilieT 

Absolutely correct to come up with new sign terms for scientific words. As Liam is profoundly deaf he had a double problem. Studying for a scientific degree whilst waiting for someone to sign or finger spell words such as deoxyribonucleoside !!

Also great that the words are recognised by the British Sign Language Association.

I see he is now studying for his Masters. The very best of luck to him. He will go far in life. heart

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10665 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Yes @EmilieT 

I was listening to this too ~ good job Liam Fantastic

Thanks for posting it.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 5

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Glad you also found it interesting @TallTrees @Cleoriff smiling Can you think of other similar gaps that haven't been filled yet in terms of fields of works being more accessible? I'm sure there are many, but stories like this show we're progressing in the right direction!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 5

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10665 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT 

I thank and appreciate everyone who tries to make people's lives better in any way.  I have had the benefit of eye glasses, contact lens and where would many people be without cataract replacement and the fantastic surgeons and machinery developed for this. 

It seems that it can be a personal difficulty that often focuses upon an improvement. 

I haven't really thought about the development of useful equipment or anything else but will and this could be very interesting. 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 5