Remap Awards 2019

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Cogs

Hi everyone, 

I've just read about the Remap 2019 Award winners, and the results were nothing short of inspiring!

The charity, which completes every year 3,500 projects, has for sole aim to help disabled people become more independent. Its name is an acronym that stands for Rehabilitation Engineering Movement Advisory Panel, but they also like to say that it stands for Resourceful Engineers Make Anything Possible. 

Earlier this year, the charity held its 2019 Awards in London to celebrate volunteers and ingenious creative projects. You can find a full list and more details on the link above, but here are a few of the winning creations:

• A small speech amplifier which clips on the side of glasses.
  • A wearable pressure sensor to help correct one's posture.
  • Some lightweight, portable guide rails help visually impaired bowlers find the right lane.
  • Single-handed binoculars for birdwatching.
  • A comfortable and discreet alternative to the standard neck brace.

If you could ask these wonderful and creative volunteer engineers to design anything that would make yours of someone you know's life easier, what would that be?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122771 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@EmilieT 

They all seem brilliant innovations. Anything which helps those with impairments enjoy a better lifestyle is a great way forward. heart

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@EmilieT 

They all seem brilliant innovations. Anything which helps those with impairments enjoy a better lifestyle is a great way forward. heart

@Cleoriff Definitely, I agree Handshake Did you have any ideas of what other sort of things they could try to invent to help some daily lives'?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122771 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Not at the moment @EmilieT  but I'll think about it. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Not at the moment @EmilieT  but I'll think about it. wink

Thanks! relieved

signature

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

When having to call any customer services I am always extremely nervous ... really putting off important stuff because of it

Will I select the right option ... ... ... it's a truly horrendous feeling

Could it be made that there is an option for disabled users to select please ?

I panic uncontrolably every time

I try to get in quick with I am disabled, please speak slowly and clearly

The customer services operators have a standard spiel to reel off at a very fast pace

Only one exception is Scottish Power ... ... ... extremely helpful to the nth degree ... I shall not be changing from my dual fuel provider whatever the cost ... anyhow I've been advised of several things to help me financial wise because I am classed as disabled

The proverbial 'they' don't seem to realise that good customer service keeps good customers and word of mouth spreads the good deed.

Rant over Drum

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Anonymous 

I can't stand those press 1, press 2 etc call answering services so I generally just hit 1 each time and if I'm in the wrong place, let the operator transfer me - most likely to the person sitting next to them in the call centre wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous 

I can't stand those press 1, press 2 etc call answering services so I generally just hit 1 each time and if I'm in the wrong place, let the operator transfer me - most likely to the person sitting next to them in the call centre wink

Used to do something similar when I was an assistant collector of taxes:

You'd get a stroppy solicitor / accountant on the phone insisting to speak to the top man = more than my job was worth to put through any call to the Collector in Charge

So ... hand your phone over a colleague on the same group of desks as you and the caller would become so compliant

Callers always asked for your name = useless as we were all moved around the office every 6 months or so to gain experience in the different taxes to collect

Those were the days when the Inspectors, Collectors & DHSS (nic) were all separate for security reasons ... ... ... now all 3 are in with the Customs and Excise I believe

Fond Memories = NOT 

Message 8 of 8