Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 steals from vulnerable people

Parker1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

We set up an O2 account for my wife's mother so she could alert people in case she fell and so that her husband could call her if he fell in the garden, but she is 82 and doesn't understand the internet and apps. We set up a £5 tariff bundle so that she always had enough minutes and texts and we keep topping up every six months or so to keep up her in credit.

The problem is that money keeps disappearing off the credit - we don't know where - and there is no way of checking bills on the PAYG accounts, so we can't see what it's spent on. Also we can't switch off the £5 monthly bundle to a standard PAYG tariff. We put £30 on the account less than 3 months ago and it's all gone now. £2 went overnight when the phone was on charge connected to our home wifi.

My wife's mother has just come out of hospital and her husband is unwell too, and neither of them have the ability to get through the O2 automatic phone responses. But O2 also won't speak to us, even though we actually pay them their money. 

Just spent 1/2 hour on the phone to O2. I was very nice but because I couldn't answer the questions the call handler posed so she just put me on hold and then after 15 minutes closed the call.

So O2, you're taking money off us without saying what for and leaving a vulnerable person in a position where she could be unexpectedly out of credit just at the time that she needs it most. 

If you are reading this and older or vulnerable can I suggest that you steer clear of O2 and use a more caring provider.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Parker1 

The credit is being used for data.

Even though it's not actually something your Mum is doing, the phone will use data in the background and you need to go into the phone settings and turn off mobile data to prevent this.

The £5 bundle is also no longer available to new customers so you would lose it completely if you changed tariffs or networks.

Other networks would still charge for data use if left turned on.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Parker1 

O2 changed their PAYG system about 4 years ago. The classic PAYG is no longer available. Now you can only choose a big bundle  https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/big-bundles 

If your parents aren't tech savvy and don't need data, you should change to Tesco or Giffgaff who still do the Classic tariff. (Still with O2)

This will suit them much better.

Best of luck and welcome to the community.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Parker1 

The credit is being used for data.

Even though it's not actually something your Mum is doing, the phone will use data in the background and you need to go into the phone settings and turn off mobile data to prevent this.

The £5 bundle is also no longer available to new customers so you would lose it completely if you changed tariffs or networks.

Other networks would still charge for data use if left turned on.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

Parker1
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you. That's a good tip.

Message 4 of 5

Parker1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. I can understand that. I wish the people answering the phones at O2 could just say that.

Message 5 of 5