Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number porting issue for texts

Iant123
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had an issue since joining O2 a month ago where my old number hasn't ported over when using texts (fine with phone number). Those I'm texting receive the O2 number instead of my ported number so don't know it's me and if they try to phone from the text message, it states number not recognised. I've tried phoning O2 customer service and can never get through to anyone and the automated voice keeps hanging up on me. It also states they have a high number of calls and waiting time of 45 minutes regardless of the time I phone customer service. I've never experienced such lousy customer service with a mobile network, where I simply can't get through to talk to anyone, so will undoubtedly leave O2 once my contract is up unless this improves. Can anyone help with the porting issue?

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Iant123 

Yes it's an RCS number issue.

If you can't find where the number is stored in the message settings you'll need to do a factory reset to clear it.

There have been other customers with the same issue and on some phones a reset is the only option unfortunately.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Iant123 

Check Settings >Phone >My Number

Edit, save and reboot phone.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 12

Iant123
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for response - the number related to the Sim is my correct ported number. I've tried this before and rebooting but doesn't change anything. Other posts stating it's a split port sounds more likely (??)

Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Iant123 

Do you receive texts OK?

Is it just an issue with SMS or also with iMessage?

Currently using:
Message 4 of 12

Iant123
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am receiving texts okay. It's my text message recipients who are seeing the original O2 number rather than my ported number. Phone okay too, just texts.

Message 5 of 12

Iant123
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

BTW, it's an android not Iphone.

Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Iant123 

In Settings >Messages >Send and receive, what is ticked for "start new conversation from" ? 

OK, just seen your post.....

Open messages and go to advanced and look for RCS settings.

Make sure your ported number is shown in there.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 12

Iant123
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Okay, it looks like when I change MMS to SMS just before sending the text, it delivers to the recipient with my ported correct number. So it possibly looks like an MMS issue, where texts are being delivered with the O2 number.

Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Iant123 

Yes it's an RCS number issue.

If you can't find where the number is stored in the message settings you'll need to do a factory reset to clear it.

There have been other customers with the same issue and on some phones a reset is the only option unfortunately.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 12

Iant123
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

M15 - thanks for your message but my phone doesn't have a menu that displays like this -'In Settings >Messages >Send and receive'

It's a Huawei P30 pro

Message 10 of 12