Did you mean: 

Living with "hidden" conditions

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi everyone,

One of the articles on the Scope website talks about "hidden" conditions and the related challenges people face in their day-to-day lives, both in their personal lives and also in the working environment. The article concentrates on how people with these disabilities are perceived by others, and how our society, even though improvements are being made, should be more understanding and inclusive.

It made me feel sad to read about the author's feelings of humiliation for example when being refused a priority seat in the train when they had trouble standing, or that their job contract was terminated due to illness.

I have also read in the news several times how people are getting judged (sometimes very harshly too) for parking in the disabled parking space, as they don't have a "visible" disability.

If you or anyone you know is familiar with suffering from any "invisible impairments", it would be interesting to hear what kind of challenges were/are faced. If you haven't experienced this yourself but can think of any challenges and ways around them as well, please do share. slight_smile

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

A quote from the late great Robin Williams, actor / comedian

'Everyone is suffering from a condition you know nothing about ... Be Kind, Always'

It is well known on the Community I suffer with Bi-Polar Disorder ... it was my choice to mention it & it helps me if people know then they can decide whether to be friends with me or not

Thank you all on the Community for not publicly 'shunning' me as has happened in my private life

I do not label myself ... but ... it is difficult from time to time 

@Anonymous  I'm not sure why you would think people would shun you on here, or why mentioning your condition would have any affect regarding people being friends with you on the community?

To my knowledge people make friends with you because of who you are, not because of any bi-polar condition you may suffer with.

I'm not making this thread all about you but did feel I should respond to those comments you made.

Having a hidden condition should never define anyone. People should be commended for the way they deal with it and the person they are despite it..

People are more likely to shun me, as I am opinionated, outspoken and frequently bad tempered. joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 17

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
I always remember a phrase I once heard about this (but also applies to many other things)...
"Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter".
No idea where it is/was from but unfortunately so true!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 12 of 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
I always remember a phrase I once heard about this (but also applies to many other things)...
"Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter".
No idea where it is/was from but unfortunately so true!

Note: This utterance is often incorrectly attributed to Dr. Seuss.

The quote said to be from Dr. Seuss is actually widely circulated misattribution. “Those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind” actually came from FDR presidential advisor Bernard Baruch, about his dinner party seating arrangements.

Message 13 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

'Everyone is suffering from a condition you know nothing about ... Be Kind, Always'

It is well known on the Community I suffer with Bi-Polar Disorder ... it was my choice to mention it & it helps me if people know then they can decide whether to be friends with me or not

Thank you all on the Community for not publicly 'shunning' me as has happened in my private life

@Anonymous  I'm not sure why you would think people would shun you on here, or why mentioning your condition would have any affect regarding people being friends with you on the community?

To my knowledge people make friends with you because of who you are, not because of any bi-polar condition you may suffer with.

I'm not making this thread all about you but did feel I should respond to those comments you made.

Having a hidden condition should never define anyone. People should be commended for the way they deal with it and the person they are despite it..

People are more likely to shun me, as I am opinionated, outspoken and frequently bad tempered. joy

Thank you @Cleoriff for your kind considerate post ... Do you mind if I reply properly tomorrow? ... I've been helping a very good friend with a similar diagnosis to mine ... & ... I have a thumping headache ... I shall make more sense tomorrow after a good night's sleep

Thank you to @jonsie for his touching comments 

Message 14 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You speak wise words @Cleoriff but I guess I feel BPD does define me & it's some sort of burden

I too don't wish to make this thread all about me

I think a lot of you @Cleoriff you will know this ... you've read me the Riot Act a few times wink I know I can 'Go off on One' so-to-speak

Thank you for all above posts ... they are illuminating  

Message 15 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Yes I agree, its a fascinating subject @Anonymous 

I could discuss and speak about people with hidden conditions for hours on end (obviously I won't though wink)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 17

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Thanks for providing the correct source @jonsie.
At least I know where it came from now!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 17 of 17