Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud

MumT
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My son is not an 02 customer but has had someone attempt to buy a phone and 2 sims cards through his bank account and whoever it is has managed to buy 2 iPhones and set up contracts on his bank account along wit 5 direct debit requests. A fraud investigation has been started  but another direct debit has been set up yesterday and the phones and sims are apparently still active and been told this morning that 02 can’t block the phones or SIM cards. I obviously can’t access the accounts online, although the customer advisor did ask me if I could; as it’s nothing to do with my son, we can’t stop them being used even! All direct debits have been cancelled but it’s insane that when I’ve asked for the phones and sims to be blocked they’ve said they can’t. Any ideas what I can do please? 

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

MumT
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @Cleoriff  I did post on another thread. I’m trying to understand what’s happened and how it has happened. I have so many questions on how these frauds happen. Just a concerned mum trying to help. 

Message 21 of 32

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@MumT wrote:

Hi @Cleoriff  I did post on another thread. I’m trying to understand what’s happened and how it has happened. I have so many questions on how these frauds happen. Just a concerned mum trying to help. 

Which is perfectly fine @MumT 

We are here to help thumbsup

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@MumT 

Yes I get that and it must be worrying. The thing is, it's about the same thing really re fraud on your sons account, hence my comment. I certainly hope it gets sorted. thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 32

MumT
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 you have been very helpful thanks.  I’ll probably be back tomorrow with another question 🥺

Message 24 of 32

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

Happy to help anytime @MumT 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 25 of 32

MumT
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff It is about the fraud, true, but 02 don’t give much away when you contact them and I’m left wondering how someone can have a phone sent to a different address. I’m sure all will be revealed in time. 

Message 26 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@MumT 

Hopefully with @O2Kyle on the case it will soon be sorted. I hope so, I can understand your concern.

These fraudsters are scum and are trying everything to get money out of unsuspecting people.

Fingers crossed for you. fingers_crossed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 32

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Will be watching very closely.....

Currently using:
Message 28 of 32

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Your son needs to check his credit file and to keep an eye on it to make sure there are no defaults on there from O2

The phones will definitely appear on there so make sure O2 remove them @MumT 

Message 29 of 32

Caroline169
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

On the 6/02/21 I received a DHL delivery of a iPad pro and Pay Monthly Business Sim Card to my home address and in my name. As I hadn’t ordered this I called O2 customer services and after discussion they advised a fraudulent activity was the likely situation and advised they would pass this to their Fraud investigation team and revert back within 48 hours. In the meantime I advised my bank to advise of this and to ensure my current account and credit cards were secure.

On the 09/02/21 I made contact with O2 again as I hadn’t heard from them and after having taken the customer services agent through the whole story once more, I was advised that I had been misinformed and a response on this couldn’t be expected for 10 days. I asked how the Fraud Team would contact me and was told this would be by email, the customer services agent asked my to confirm the email address they had for me on my account and surprisingly it wasn’t mine !

On the 17/02/21 I again called O2 as still no news from the Fraud Team and this time I was told that I should have been advised that a response couldn't be provided for at least 14 days so today, 22 days after first reporting this potential Fraud I am yet to hear from O2 to advise how my personal details were exposed and used to purchase and have delivered this expensive equipment to me at my home address.

I have been very worried about this situation and really don’t know what to do next. I therefore wanted to ask if anyone else has suffered this or similar and can provide some advice, perhaps I should escalate to the regulator as I would have thought data breach issues would be taken much more serious by O2

Message 30 of 32