Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling sad no dog!!!

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi   Just after Xmas someone suggested to me that I apply for a Hearing Dog - similar to a guide dog but sounds and confidence related. I applied as my hearing has deteriorated.  ive given up 6 activities in the past 2 yrs. This was rather in a rush and bumbled but got done.

I've heard that I don't qualify.  There's a chance of I could have a dog that didnt quite make the grade but it cant wear a jacket and go everywhere. Probably my hearing isnt quite bad enouigh but I am having difficulties in the community. Ive given up 6 activities in the past 2 years.

So decision time . Im leaving that until next week when Ive calmed down. A dog came up to me with a ball yesterday !! And the owner was telling me dogs can go a lot more places these days.

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi folks      thanks for your replies , support and friendliness

Im feeling more cheerful now and feel pleased my hearing hasn't yet deteriorated to the point of being highly restrctive.  And my decsion to withdraw from any activities that cause me difficulty seems to be paying dividends.

Thanks for listening

Message 11 of 34

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi folks thank you for all the posts.

Im cheerful now spring is here. And 2 doggy things have happened ...... 1   Ive been offered a sounds dog ( a failed official dog but have to be vetted)  2   Remebered something a pal said to me years ago '' retired greyhounds dont need much exercise and they then flop

The details about the hearing dog (tier 2) is due anytime..  And Ive been walking with some retired grey hounds  . The guy in charge gave me thumbs up in my handling.

See ''how does one higher a fence''- post       not fence post - hehe

Message 12 of 34

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

That all sound very exciting @Jenny105, very happy for you doggy things are moving smiley

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 13 of 34

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Thanks for all the useful tips , folks 

Message 14 of 34

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi

Latest News    Ive been out with the local retired greyhound group and learning the pros and cons of greyhound ownership    eg high fences ,  beware of squirrels and other furry things. Greyhounds are escape artists and travel 10s of miles. Or are never found

This week we are going to the Hearing Dogs Cwntre in Bucks. Not for a hearing dog - boo hoo-. I dont quite qualify but to see Sounds Dogs who dlike me dont quite pass their tests. 

But are also contacting Cinnamon Trust which finds homes for dogs; whose owners can no longer care for them.

We shall se what we shall see

Message 15 of 34

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

That sounds very promising @Jenny105, looking forward to more updates! smiling

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 16 of 34

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I got on very well at the Grange , home of Dogs for the Deaf. I ve qualified for a Sounds support dog which will help with sounds around home. Door bell, cooker alarm (for various activities) , smoke alarm,  fire alarm etc.

Next step Home and Garden inspection, If that goes ok then its a wait until a dog is matched with us  eg has been trained with children ,  adaptable, etc

Watch this space ........dog    slight_smile

Message 17 of 34

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Sounds very promising @Jenny105  I hope you get your dog soon thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 34

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Jenny105 wrote:

I got on very well at the Grange , home of Dogs for the Deaf. I ve qualified for a Sounds support dog which will help with sounds around home. Door bell, cooker alarm (for various activities) , smoke alarm,  fire alarm etc.

Next step Home and Garden inspection, If that goes ok then its a wait until a dog is matched with us  eg has been trained with children ,  adaptable, etc

Watch this space ........dog    slight_smile

Brilliant news @Jenny105, I'm very excited for you and looking forward to the next update smiley

signature

Message 19 of 34

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Home and Garden check tomorrow ----- worse than GCSEs    

Im going round the house today, putting away hazards including chocolate and plastic bags. !

Weve discovered the painter painted the drive gates lock rod into position , grrrrr

Message 20 of 34