Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling sad no dog!!!

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi   Just after Xmas someone suggested to me that I apply for a Hearing Dog - similar to a guide dog but sounds and confidence related. I applied as my hearing has deteriorated.  ive given up 6 activities in the past 2 yrs. This was rather in a rush and bumbled but got done.

I've heard that I don't qualify.  There's a chance of I could have a dog that didnt quite make the grade but it cant wear a jacket and go everywhere. Probably my hearing isnt quite bad enouigh but I am having difficulties in the community. Ive given up 6 activities in the past 2 years.

So decision time . Im leaving that until next week when Ive calmed down. A dog came up to me with a ball yesterday !! And the owner was telling me dogs can go a lot more places these days.

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

PS     02 ers might help Cat Tongue ......   what sorts of places and R there any chains that accept dogs these dogs. Hubs and I walk and might go to a cafe or restaurant afterwards. We cant have a dog if thats not poss as its really our only enjoyment .     Flying ?  Hotels?

Any other useful info.  We are getting on in years so out of touch with stuff re dogs and social stuff.

Ta folks

Message 2 of 34

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10667 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @Jenny105 

A lady I knew quite well took her "hearing dog" most places ~ supermarkets because they need to tell her if there is an alarm for Fire etc. 

I was in Waitrose yesterday and saw a dog with a Gentleman in a wheel-chair. He never leaves him outside. I have seen him on a bus too.

Many restaurants accept a dog anyway but some may not have room.

I don't know about flying. 

If your dog informs you of Fire Alarms etc., public institutions will accept a "hearing dog"

I had a dog and travelled all over with him ~ just made sure before booking at hotels.

He wasn't a hearing dog but he was a "Gentleman" 

I took him into Harrods he was very well behaved and they loved him.

I took him into most shops when I was buying general goods shoes/clothes etc.

He was very popular actually!

He was more than welcome in a posh hotel in Aberdeen, when I was leaving the kitchen staff made

him up a bag with cooked sausages in for the journey! He loved a cooked sausage occasionally.

What a lovely and happy experience that was.

Most people love dogs.  

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 34

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Jenny105  If you didn't qualify, and the dog is not allowed to wear an official service dog jacket, you would be treated as anyone else would be, and you would have to ask as to whether the dog would be allowed in to wherever you were going. I'm also fairly certain that unless it had an official jacket, you wouldn't be able to take it on a plane.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 34

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I live dogs. I've been without one for about 7 years now after never being without one all my life. 

Even if I was able bodied I doubt I would have one  at my time off life. I did look after my sons dog a few years ago every time he went away.

BUT. . .. whilst you can't beat a dog for constant companionship and undying faithfulness, they need constant exercise for their good health  they need walking twice a day too, whatever the weather  winter, summer, through snow, hail and thunderstorms. Constant drying off, floors mopped and hoovered and most importantly these days, pet insurance 

Unless you have the time and patience required, think twice. They are a constant source of love and loyalty, your best friend who can sense your mood and do their best to cheer you up  

They can be your ears and will react to sound but would need special training as to alert you to specific sounds.

I'm really sorry that you don't qualify for a hearing dog though you can reapply should you suffer further hearing loss  

Message 5 of 34

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10667 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Absolutely as @jonsie  has mentioned for you to consider @Jenny105  

All animals have a requirement of health care, walking for their enjoyment, feeding etc.

This is a considerable work load. 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 34

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

Hi @Jenny105 

A lady I knew quite well took her "hearing dog" most places ~ supermarkets because they need to tell her if there is an alarm for Fire etc. 

I was in Waitrose yesterday and saw a dog with a Gentleman in a wheel-chair. He never leaves him outside. I have seen him on a bus too.

Many restaurants accept a dog anyway but some may not have room.

I don't know about flying. 

If your dog informs you of Fire Alarms etc., public institutions will accept a "hearing dog"

I had a dog and travelled all over with him ~ just made sure before booking at hotels.

He wasn't a hearing dog but he was a "Gentleman" 

I took him into Harrods he was very well behaved and they loved him.

I took him into most shops when I was buying general goods shoes/clothes etc.

He was very popular actually!

He was more than welcome in a posh hotel in Aberdeen, when I was leaving the kitchen staff made

him up a bag with cooked sausages in for the journey! He loved a cooked sausage occasionally.

What a lovely and happy experience that was.

Most people love dogs.  

Thanks Tall Trees . Thats encouraging thanks. Im sad I didnt qualify for a registered dog . That makes life easy,  when hearing is an issue asking , phoning or checking whether a dog is allowed is embarrassing and emotional.  BUT your post adds hope.  The 2nd tier dogs arent registered and cant wear the official jacket.       The application  happened rather suddenly and has stirred up some emotions. x

Message 7 of 34

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi Jonsie     These are useful things to remember. Im supposed to exercise for other reasons BUT youre right to remind me of all those extra things . Thanks

I did once train a dog from scratch. But couldnt do it now, The dog Hearing Dogs is offering is a 2nd tier dog it's trained in sounds and is more than basically trained. The training is rigourous and some dont quite make it to registration. Its one of these Ive been offered.  Theres a 3rd tier who failed even more. We would nt consider those.

Message 8 of 34

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Hi ,I was hoping for the registered dog for partly this reason following. On Saturday I went to 02 shop, something I try to avoid. There was a new layout and new staff. A new lad served me . I explained my query but I could nt hear all of his reply. I asked again. One gets to know the look when staff are thinking - this woman is OLD. Cos I get a blank look on my face when I am trying to understand. :-} With a Hearing dog in tow they are much more understanding
Message 9 of 34

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I live dogs. I've been without one for about 7 years now after never being without one all my life. 

Even if I was able bodied I doubt I would have one  at my time off life. I did look after my sons dog a few years ago every time he went away.

BUT. . .. whilst you can't beat a dog for constant companionship and undying faithfulness, they need constant exercise for their good health  they need walking twice a day too, whatever the weather  winter, summer, through snow, hail and thunderstorms. Constant drying off, floors mopped and hoovered and most importantly these days, pet insurance 

Unless you have the time and patience required, think twice. They are a constant source of love and loyalty, your best friend who can sense your mood and do their best to cheer you up  

They can be your ears and will react to sound but would need special training as to alert you to specific sounds.

I'm really sorry that you don't qualify for a hearing dog though you can reapply should you suffer further hearing loss  

Hi thanks for the thoughts
Ive been offered a  dogs that is part trained. I need to find out how much. The fully trained ones learn to wee in the garden or park and nowhere else. They have to be trained to go anywhere indoors without wee ing. But my next step is find out how far these 2nd tier goes have made the grade or not.

But your thoughts are very useful to think about. We are lucky to have 3 parks within a short distance

Message 10 of 34