Did you mean: 

Do you know sign language?

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi guys, 

This weekend, the world will be celebrating the International Day of Sign Languages. The date picked for this day, September 23rd, actually marks the day the World Federation of the Deaf was established in 1951. smiley

There's been a lot of progress since 1951, and for example it's now possible to contact O2 using British Sign Language through SignVideo, a free and easy service. You can find out more about how it works in our helpful Community Guide here, and if you've used this before we'd love to hear about your experience!

I never realised how many different types of sign languages are out there, but I wish I took the time to learn one in the past years. Even though I have not got around to it yet, this is something I would definitely be interested in learning going forward.

Do you guys know any sign language? Have you tried learning one, or do you want to?

It'll be great to hear more from you on this! Happy Dance

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Sign language is such a fantastic tool for those how are deaf or hard of hearing. I've never had a reason to pick it up but it's always impressive to see a conversation happening even if I have no clue whats been said! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 11 of 23

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I was watching a programme on TV where the actors were signing an arguement. Fascinating to watch.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 12 of 23

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Facial expressions add to the sign language too. You just know there's something a little confrontatiomnal...yes?

Message 13 of 23

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

IMG_20181211_140207 BSL.jpg

Message 14 of 23

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
We sign to popular Christmas Songs. Visiting special needs groups, hospice, and collecting for our charity at shopping outlets.……. Very moving
Message 15 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jenny105 wrote:
We sign to popular Christmas Songs. Visiting special needs groups, hospice, and collecting for our charity at shopping outlets.……. Very moving

What an amazing group!

Message 16 of 23

ComaChameleon
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I would love to know a bit signlanguage... As this people can't anything for their situation... Others can learn our language and talk to us (paramedics)... So it's the only language I would like to learn to understand patients..

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 17 of 23

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@ComaChameleon wrote:

I would love to know a bit signlanguage... As this people can't anything for their situation... Others can learn our language and talk to us (paramedics)... So it's the only language I would like to learn to understand patients.. Try youtube , ask for UK sign language..

In East Sussex there are some classes. But I wish i knew how people could learn some useful signs. For paramedics that would be sooooo useful. A deaf patient must be so scared in an ambulance hospital situation.

There are people called ''speech readers'' who can be called in to assist in emergencies and in hospitals

Message 18 of 23

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Children pick up sign language quite quickly . I wish schools taught some basic word or phrases.

Message 19 of 23

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I belong to a Christmas BSL choir for charity and entertaining in Homes.   Hence i sometimes sign in church during the Hymns !! Any one kknow the sign for ressurection (possibly same as new life) or for sin. They seem to crop up a lot !!!!hear_no_evil

Message 20 of 23