Did you mean: 

Do you know sign language?

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi guys, 

This weekend, the world will be celebrating the International Day of Sign Languages. The date picked for this day, September 23rd, actually marks the day the World Federation of the Deaf was established in 1951. smiley

There's been a lot of progress since 1951, and for example it's now possible to contact O2 using British Sign Language through SignVideo, a free and easy service. You can find out more about how it works in our helpful Community Guide here, and if you've used this before we'd love to hear about your experience!

I never realised how many different types of sign languages are out there, but I wish I took the time to learn one in the past years. Even though I have not got around to it yet, this is something I would definitely be interested in learning going forward.

Do you guys know any sign language? Have you tried learning one, or do you want to?

It'll be great to hear more from you on this! Happy Dance

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

I can sign in Makaton 

https://www.makaton.org/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did a course a few years ago and learnt the basics. I can still sign the pleasantries, colours, the alphabet and a few other bits.. all taught by a woman who was deaf from birth. None of us were allowed to talk in class (we failed miserably) but it was such good fun.

ill always remember ‘please to the knees’  ‘Thank You’ and ‘please’ are the same but ‘please’ is a bigger movement (to the knees) 

Message 3 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Many years ago I did learn some of the basics to deal with profoundly deaf patients...but with medical terminology it was difficult. We had a group of dedicated signing experts within the hospital environment so we could always call on them.

I also found it more convenient to draw and write on a pad when describing the operation the patient had.

Obviously relatives played a major part in any discussions..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 23

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
I had learn rudimentary bsl for a job interview I had. Never really done too well as the sign language bit was a little overwhelming.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 5 of 23

Poppysmum
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

No i dont know any sign language 

Message 6 of 23

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Having driven on various roads and countries, there is definitely a universal sign language that transgresses all cultures.  yahoo

Though I'm intrigued by signing and find it a challenge to decypher the descriptive when watching TV news. 

Message 7 of 23

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Unfortunately, I don't know any sign languages. Never really needed to sign.

I had a profoundly deaf customer at Waitrose. We communicated with pen and paper. It was fine and she seemed happy. I admit that it would have been better, and more respectful, if I could have signed to her. But I just never got round to learning.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 8 of 23

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I tried a British Sign Language course at our local Hearing Centre.  It proved difficult plus hubby couldnt learn either.So  Im now learning lip reading (speech reading) instead. 

However each year the Centre does BSL Christmas songs for funds or for entertainment in local Homes. Coool . And a lot of fun all round.

Message 9 of 23

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

brock rock AND SCIENCE (13c).JPGDeafness ?  A pictorial symbol.   My g'daughter was playing with a sculpture so I snapped the comical view. Later it appeared to be a representation -  deafness in all forms mask both the person& the world

Message 10 of 23