Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Access For All

Level 14: Rising star 

Re: Deafness, Difficulties & Communication - a blog

[ Edited ]

Thats great to share your story Cleoriff. Its bound to help others in similar situations.   Admitting or realising hearing is down can be hard to do.

IF you go to Boots be sure to take someone with you as you might get hard sell for hearing aids.   You would need a loop setting for cinema , theatre etc.  I have 3 settings on my hearing aids.  This would cost a lot privately.

A pal went privately was sold very expensive aids. When he needed the loop setting he had to start again . His financial situation had changed and he couldnt afford a new aid. So hes without at the moment.          If you lose it you have to pay again,.

I worked for a Disability Assoc .Our advice to callers re hearing was to go to the GP first. They will check out everything , do a wax test, and may give you a choice of  hearing aid providers. Im about to have a new type of aid. My 6th type, all free.  Hearing aids , batteries and regular re tubing & maintenace are all free on NHS at the mo. And if you explain your circumstance extra settings will be fitted to the aid.

You could ring E Sussex Hearing Resources Centre ( https://1space.eastsussex.gov.uk/Services/709)  (gives contact ) to see if there is anywhere which gives advice on extra free equipment in your area. Hurry FREE may change soon  eg  alarms,  extra hand held device. and others to purchase ? for TV, door bell,  phone.   ....... I'll write about these in my blog. 

Topics: 688

Thanks @Jenny105  for your advice, I will do my research before I go anywhere. I'm not being funny but I doubt anyone would be able to con me into buying something expensive if a cheaper device was just as good. I'm not easily taken in. wink

I will ring my GP first to see what advice they have to offer, so thanks again for that.

I can't complain really. I've been lucky enough to have excellent hearing all of my life.

This is certainly an issue related to advancing years.

*The Game Is On*

Good for you        If you want other advice... Hearing Link and Action for Hearing Loss can give info, as well as East Sussex Hearing Resources Centre (my life line and joy) 

.Re hair- I ve had nhs hearing aids for 35yrs, for 20 yrs with short hair. No one ever referred to my behind the ears aids in that time ;-0. My hair is longer now and no comments either !!??!!  *

As disabilitycharity advisors we were never advised to reccommend going private;-

It is VERY expensive, One pal has paid £10,000 over 15years.Nearly every time you need a change you often pay all over again. I believe.

you dont always get what you need for later on (especially when your hearing is likely to decrease with age).

Im not sure if you can get the extra free stuff with private (might be ok ) , Check out how to get rail discount with private again might be ok.

Again Im not professional ,and only  had a lot of experience with NHS ; None with private  (except the bad stories from friends - one never hears the good stories does one ??!!)    All the best. 

@Cleoriff wrote:

Thanks @Jenny105  for your advice, I will do my research before I go anywhere. I'm not being funny but I doubt anyone would be able to con me into buying something expensive if a cheaper device was just as good. I'm not easily taken in. wink

I will ring my GP first to see what advice they have to offer, so thanks again for that.

I can't complain really. I've been lucky enough to have excellent hearing all of my life.

This is certainly an issue related to advancing years.

battteries are free and longer lasting on NHS,  as is maintenance.  I think rail travel discount applies to both private and NHS.

Im not an professional adviser , Im just saying'' get the facts before you go''. Info is power. 

Topics: 688

@Jenny105  referring to this part of your post..

Im not an professional adviser , Im just saying'' get the facts before you go''. Info is power.

I couldn't agree more. The same logic applies to anything.

Changing utility providers, .or when you visit your GP and knowing what works for you and what doesn't (instead of being put in a box like everyone else), getting a new car, buying spectacles,  new house etc The list is endless.

I realise there are experts who are meant to give you good impartial advice, though often they don't. Just there to make money or commission.

*The Game Is On*

Topics: 548
Solutions: 3,428

I will be making an appointment with the doctor because self image doesn't play much of a role nowadays. It's NHS all the way for me.

Humblest apologies Jonsie . I believe i might have got  posts mixing-itis . Comes with age. All the very best with your quest.

Topics: 548
Solutions: 3,428

@Jenny105 wrote:

Humblest apologies Jonsie . I believe i might have got  posts mixing-itis . Comes with age. All the very best with your quest.

None needed at all @Jenny105 slight smile

Hi Jonsie I was just doing some research about hearing aids and there was mention their importance in treatment of tinnitus

Bloggy bit about hearing aids .  

Today I received new hearing aids from NHS. These modern types filter out more stuff and mine have the lopp (Tcoil) ; music and background noise reduction settings . I'll blog how it it goes. It takes some time to adjust to aids.

. I've already noticed the tyres of passing cars no longer sound like jet planes taking off. That has to be good.They  are the  behind the ear genre with clear moulds in the ear.   No one has ever commented on them in 25yrs. They seem less visible than tiny coloured ones which sit in the outer ear.

Hearing Link say this as a definition   In spite of the great variety of types, designs and technical features, hearing aids can all be described as small, wearable electronic devices which enable a person to hear sounds better and understand speech more clearly, providing an overall improvement in communication ability. All are digital. Be sure to ask for the T coil or loop to be set and ask what other settings are available.

NHS are loaned free. Elsewhere they can cost  £300- 3,000 each. 

Hope that helps . This is my own experience Im not a pro, just a long time user and couldnt be without them 

I made a phone call to a friend I hadnt spoken to for over a year. Confused

Using the loop switch on the new Phonak hearing aids (NHS) but no hands free setting.

The call was private for the first time in about 2 years.