Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deafness, Difficulties & Communication - a blogg

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Back in the old days old every 7yr old took a hearing test at school, I was teaching in a Middle School in W Su.ssex when the day came for my class of 36 , 6-7yr olds to be tested. When the last child had donned the earphones I quietly asked if I could be tested. The soft response , ''staffroom, at break''

This happened.  I was handed 2 pieces of paper which were to be shown to my doctor. Confirmation that my hearing levels were down enough to be of concern.

A test involves donning earphones  while the tester twiddles knobs for different frequencies. Each ear is tested seperately usually the sounds start  clear (press a on hearing) . If theres a hearing problem the sounds tail off ; the button pressing tails off. too head_bandage  

A graph is produced showing sounds heard across the board This indicates sound  levels heard and  not heard !!.

I might fnd a graph if there's interest.

This is a personal story from a non qualified person, just from someone with a longstanding hearing loss

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Brilliant. I have to use earphones for any calls I need to make when I'm away from home. At home everything is on speaker as I'm usually alone.

Message 31 of 34

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Im still mainly a landline user . My old hearing aids werent compatable using the loop setting with this phone. So I used the hands free setting with top volume. 

The new hearing aids are compatitble which seems to make a private call using the phne in ordinary mode.       I rang American Express this am and the call server wasnt very clear. I reverted to Hands free BUT next time i go to a call centre I'll ask them to adjust their mouth piece and speak slightly slower and a tad louder

Ive yet to try my new aids on a smartphone hear_no_evil

@jonsie wrote:

Brilliant. I have to use earphones for any calls I need to make when I'm away from home. At home everything is on speaker as I'm usually alone.

Message 32 of 34

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

It may be a little while before I blog again as Im preparing for Loki , Sounds Support Dog to come .

But here's a hearing loss story. 

Having a meal in the open air part of a restaurant with a friend , my phone rang.  Odd! , no one rings me.  I checked out where it was from thinking it must be a family emergency.             The GPs !!

I hesitated but answered.   On boost and very loud a voice bellowed '' This is a reminder of your blood test tomorrow at College Drive , 11.30 with the nurse ''

In one way it was funny.... but suppose I had been indoors ;  or been on a first date ; or in a train ; or with a member of staff etc       

I complained as this has never happened before . There are now strict guidelines about text only alerts

Message 33 of 34

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I haven't found a good pair of earphones yet. But I will attempt loop setting with my smartphone one day. I get nervous to try.
Message 34 of 34