Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blindness: Groundbreaking News

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

The first human trials of a new technique which could restore sight to the blind are about to begin

Doctors in Texas are using a neuroscience technique called optogenetics. This involves modifying neurons (nerves) so they can be turned 'on' and 'off' using light.....

The trial will be carried out on 15 patients who suffer with retinal pigmentosa..(the light sensitive cells in the retina degenerate causing blindness)

It is anticipated the patients sight will probably only be restored in monochrome. However, for people who are blind this will be a major step forward.

http://www.sciencealert.com/doctors-plan-to-use-a-groundbreaking-technique-in-humans-for-the-first-t...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Wow, there will be soon nothing that can't be cured by medicine. Great news for those affected.

Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

amazing news.....love reading about these advancements

Message 3 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

It's only for one cause of blindness. There are many others. This particular treatment is so advanced I honestly had to read it twice before I could grasp what a gamechanger it really is. Not often I say it's 'ahead of it's time'

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 5

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Fantastic breakthrough, I'll be honest I had to read it twice myself to get a grasp of the full idea. So basically they are bypassing the optics of the eye (which are damaged or degraded) and instead forming a new optic receptor using the light reactive cells from algea.
Amazing stuff!
Message 5 of 5