Did you mean: 

Be My Eyes

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

Although it's been around for a while, I only heard of this app recently and wanted to share it with you guys in case you find it useful or have any experience using it! slight_smile

Be My Eyes is an app that connects anyone who has a visual impairment with sighted volunteers and company representatives via a video call. This could be to help with reading instructions, terms and conditions, or tackle any challenge and find solutions together. It connects people from all over the world, in over 180 languages, and since it launched in 2015, over 2,000,000 volunteers have signed up to this service in order to assist blind of visually-impaired users. 

Has any of you used this app or knows someone who has, as a volunteeer or to request assistance?

Do you know of any other similar service that connects people who require assistance with people who want to help?

Or if you can think of something similar that doesn't exist but would be useful as well, I'd love to hear it! 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieT 

I've never heard of this at all. Sounds like an excellent idea.

I only have one concern, who monitors the volunteer system? I wouldn't like to think of it being abused.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

That's a good question @Cleoriff! I have to say, I have no idea, but I was thinking of volunteering so while I read more about it, if I find out more about any monitoring system, I'll pop more info here slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieT wrote:

That's a good question @Cleoriff! I have to say, I have no idea, but I was thinking of volunteering so while I read more about it, if I find out more about any monitoring system, I'll pop more info here slight_smile

I only ask as visually impaired people are vulnerable. Extremely vulnerable.

I would hate to think that volunteers are taken on without proper checks. There could be people who would take advantage.

I used to run the voluntary service at the hospital. We took references and had everyone CRB checked before we allowed them to start volunteering.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Makes sense @Cleoriff, very valid concerns nerd

From what I can see initially, there is no prior checks however there is a rating and feedback system closely monitored. if I find out more, I'll let you know - in case I go ahead and volunteer I can also share my experience here! Same goes for anyone else on the community who might have used it or does at some point wink

signature

Message 5 of 7

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

By the grace of God I haven't needed anything to do with visual impairment although like anyone else, over time sight is going to to diminish compared to what it once was. Thse who do have an issue from childhood or from illness will have benefits but I never trust anything that isn't controlled by strict regulations. I think there should be some sort of vetting rather than relying on other users' recommendations.

Hearing impediment is bad enough but visual impairment is so difficult to manage for yourself. Family and friends are the people who usually assist unless you live alone. Any help for those people has to be welcomed.

Message 6 of 7

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Very good points @jonsie, it must be really challenging so any help and support is valuable! There is likely more rules and regulations than what I could find while casually browsing the website, but I'm definitely curious to find out more about how this app works in practice slight_smile

signature

Message 7 of 7