Did you mean: 

Apps to help with hearing loss

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

Google introduced earlier this week two new Android apps designed to support those affected by hearing loss. Here are a few details about what you can expect from these apps, and you can read all about it on their blog:

• Live TranscribeThis app transcribes any conversation in real time, using your device's microphone. It's available in over 70 languages and dialects, and even allows two-way conversation for those who cannot or prefer not to speak, using the phone's keyboard and speaker. 
  • Sound Amplifier: Announced at Google I/O last year, this app allows the user to filter and amplify the sounds in the environment, by customising background noise reduction and sound enhancements. 

Are you interested in using either of those apps? Do you already use any other app helpful with hearing loss, or know of any great Accessibility functionalities built in your phone that serves a similar purpose?

Let us know in the comments! slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143190 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions

@Jenny105

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Thanks M15, I'll look in to these.
Are Apps easily deleted. If these apps conflict with Amplicomms technology Id need to know they can be ditched.
Message 3 of 12

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

To Emilie T.  See  note to M15 re detion of Apps

@EmilieT wrote:

Hi everyone, 

Google introduced earlier this week two new Android apps designed to support those affected by hearing loss. Here are a few details about what you can expect from these apps, and you can read all about it on their blog:

• Live TranscribeThis app transcribes any conversation in real time, using your device's microphone. It's available in over 70 languages and dialects, and even allows two-way conversation for those who cannot or prefer not to speak, using the phone's keyboard and speaker. 
  • Sound Amplifier: Announced at Google I/O last year, this app allows the user to filter and amplify the sounds in the environment, by customising background noise reduction and sound enhancements. 

Are you interested in using either of those apps? Do you already use any other app helpful with hearing loss, or know of any great Accessibility functionalities built in your phone that serves a similar purpose?

Let us know in the comments! slight_smile

Message 4 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143190 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions

@Jenny105 yes, easily deleted, just go back to where you installed it and you'll se an "uninstall" option.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 12

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10628 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT What a good idea but ~

There are a few people around where I live that maybe have hearing

difficulties one is 100yrs this year but he can't/won't/doesn't

have an android nor a mobile phone and would have no idea what we were

talking about.

Others have phones but only one that text/telephone if they text

they do not need to hear so no good for them (no internet connection).

I don't need this (at the moment!) I could see a good use

for it because it is not only the elderly that cannot hear

properly.

Good thoughts thoughsmiling

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 12

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Jenny105 

As far as I'm aware they're just like any other apps, so as @MI5 mentioned earlier they should be easy to remove! Did you get a chance to try them out yet, or do you currently use any other similar app/setting that you find helpful? slight_smile

@TallTrees

It's definitely useful only for those who have a smartphone and know how to use it, but going forward more and more people of all ages will have one, even more so than now. It's great to see initiatives like this, and I agree that it'll help a lot of people, not only the elderly but anyone with any sort of hearing difficulties really! grin

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 12

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Hi Im just about to try one or both of these. All of us have had a very nasty and debilitating bug. So bad I haven't used the internet for over a week.
Message 8 of 12

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

Hi @EmilieT What a good idea but ~

There are a few people around where I live that maybe have hearing

difficulties one is 100yrs this year but he can't/won't/doesn't

have an android nor a mobile phone and would have no idea what we were

talking about.

Others have phones but only one that text/telephone if they text

they do not need to hear so no good for them (no internet connection).

I don't need this (at the moment!) I could see a good use

for it because it is not only the elderly that cannot hear

properly.

Good thoughts thoughsmiling

Hi That sounds typical of what happens to a deaf person (hard of hearing) it s not just the loss of hearing but the loss of ones place in society and the techy society. I was pretty laptop savvy but mobile and smartphones through me. Ive persevered but I am ,even now, reluctant to telephone on my smartphone. Even tho most voices are within range on my Amplicomms phone.

Society doesnt understand the disability of hearing loss, one becomes personna non grata because one doesnt stand is by product losses. Many withdraw from society, emphasisng that hearing loss people dont count.......... PS even if you do speak out and ask for proper services one is laughed at.    

Sorry but this is true

Message 9 of 12

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

PS      I cant find the 2nd app referred to by Emilie T.   Several come up but theres no indication of which Emilie T is referring to. x

Message 10 of 12