Did you mean: 

Apps for Chronic Pain

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

I'm always amazed to discover that there is an app for everything! Today I would like to get your thoughts on an article I read on The Mighty about apps that can support you through chronic pain. 

The two apps highlighted there are a Diary app (My Pain Diary) and a Meditation app (Medisafe), but as the author explains, there is more to these than just their main purpose. The benefits from those ranges from tracking your pain and its factors or details, to meditation guides and reminders, medication information, reminders and even personal compliance reports.

From your personal experience, or friends'/family's, it'd be really interesting to know what you think of those and if you have any additional advice slight_smile

Have you tried either of those apps? Do you know of any other that could help someone manage their chronic illness?

Feedback

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Fascinating article @EmilieT and a sign of the times.

Some time ago I did a research study on pain and the first thing to mention is people's pain thresholds are completely different and vary from one to the other..

What could be excruciating pain for one person, would be a bad ache for someone else. The thing to remember always, is 'pain is what the patient says it is'

Also, whatever helps people deal  with pain is the best thing for them.

Before the days of apps, we always encouraged our patients to keep their own pain diary.

A reminder to take medication is a great thing to have. Though in fairness, tablet dispensers are fine. With those you sort your tablets into a weeks supply, These are plastic containers sold in 2 or 4 x daily sections with all the requisite medication in the appropriate section.

My only concern with the apps you mention is phone failure. Being reliant so much on technology is only as good as the technology you use.

Both apps have their uses AS LONG as your GP is interested in seeing your pain graphs. Not all doctors will be that bothered (and I'm being honest here)

On a positive note though, if the use of these apps help individuals cope better with their pain by taking control of it...then this can only be a good thing.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

That research study on pain sounds really interesting @Cleoriff! I think it might be a good strategy to combine mobile support with other supporting systems such as tablet dispensers. This way if there's a phone failure something is still in place, but the combinaison of both might be good as the phone could remind you of the tablet dispenser for example? 

As you say, everyone is different so whatever works for each individual is great smiling During your time in the NHS or from your experience, are there other things that aren't done by these two specific apps that might be useful too? I'd love to do some more research to find other supporting apps!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 3 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

To be honest @EmilieT I didn't realise there were so many apps out there to help with pain

Obviously, I'm aware of the health and fitness apps. Also those which help with weight, calorie counting etc, so I had a look on google. Here you go.

50 of the best apps to manage health and pain. The two you mention above are in this list

https://paindoctor.com/pain-diary-apps/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 6

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

That's a really interesting list @Cleoriff, thanks for sharing! I was not aware either of the amount of apps out there that could help with pain management, it's fantastic to see there are so many ... a lot of them have a similar purpose but some are quite unique (number 10 for example) smiley

signature

Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieT wrote:

That's a really interesting list @Cleoriff, thanks for sharing! I was not aware either of the amount of apps out there that could help with pain management, it's fantastic to see there are so many ... a lot of them have a similar purpose but some are quite unique (number 10 for example) smiley

Yes I would only be interested in about 5 of them @EmilieT. However I cant be dismissive of any of the others because if they work for some people then that's all good. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 6