Did you mean: 

Windows 10 - Upgrade your life

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions
Hey guys,

Me and Brad have made our way to sunny-ish London today to attend Microsofts “Windows 10 Launch Event”, hoping to get the inside scoop on all things Windows 10. For those of you running Windows 7 or 8 on your laptop or desktop computer, remember that from today you can get a free upgrade to Windows 10. This will last for a full year, after which time you’ll need to pay for the upgrade. If Windows 10 on your computer interests you, check this link out: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-upgrade

Don’t forget though that Windows 10 will also be coming to Windows Phone and it will help unify your devices and make life easier and more streamlined. The upgrades for this will be reaching current Lumias end of the year and who knows, maybe tonight there could be new Windows 10 devices announced.

We'll keep you updated as the evening unfolds

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Clean Bandit.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 31 of 48

Cleoriff
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@anticpated wrote:

Clean Bandit.

Pink hair here @anticpated

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

I took the view as I have just about fully convert to using my imac that I could risk my lappy on the upgrade. I had previously tried the beta and reversed as microsof money didnt work.

I was also worried that the hmrc real time programme might play up too.

The download took forever and updates galore, as expect money wont work it wants ie5 and even the sunset version wants ie6 I did try making ie my main browser but it still spat out the same issue. 

The hmrc stuff seemed to work ok, very surpised as it was very messy when windows 7 or 8 came out ( cant remember when but I do remeber being on to the tech help for a long time sorting it )

Cortana is a big a waste of time as siri ( and i love my apple products )if anything my choice would be the google one that I use with my watch though I do feel a plonker takling to my watch.

We did my youngest daughters lappy and stuck it on a usb drive for the rest of the updating round the family.

havent used it much but other than having the start button back its not been of any great excitment.

Message 33 of 48

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Well I'm having a go on the other laptop now...

problem is it's another HP albeit a couple of years younger and an 11 inch I use for travelling. Ah well, it's Saturday and nothing better to do wink

Message 34 of 48

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

My husband had one other problem It wouldn't connect to our WiFi printer initially. Fixed it by downloading Win 10 drivers....All perfect now....Happy Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 35 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have not tried printing yet @Cleoriff though the wifi printers often plays up it seems to like apple products best !
Message 36 of 48

Cleoriff
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Have not tried printing yet @Cleoriff though the wifi printers often plays up it seems to like apple products best !

Yes @Anonymous though I am talking about using the printer with our laptops (both Toshiba) In fairness prior to Win 10 the printers often misbehaved on both laptops. If I was on my own I would have a plug in printer I am sure..:smileywink:.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 37 of 48

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Yeah well thanks for that exciting installment of yet another unavailable women. Shocked

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 38 of 48

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Finally got the notification the upgrade was ready, so I took the plunge from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

I've had some teething issues but overall I'm liking some of the new features and the styling too. I'll need to spend some more time getting it how I want it with some registry tweaks and hacks. Oddly enough I can't get Cortana working - says it's not supported in my region with selected language - both of which are UK - English, so i'll need to look into that.

As a gamer, main plunge is due to DirectX 12 which will be a W10 exclusive. Bring on the games!

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 39 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

Weve now put win 10 on 3/4 of the laptops I hacve spent moire time clsoing down things I dont want and changing settings which I find annoying that they are defaulted on.

Cortana is silenced and edged dumped on mine. Hibby has windows phone so it mgiht be more useful for him.

For me win xp was my favourite and I dont see 10 doing anything to change that.

Message 40 of 48