Did you mean: 

Updated aware guide with O2 and the NSPCC

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi guys, 

The NSPCC in conjunction with O2 have recently updated the Net Aware guide, which is a guide for parents covering over 50 social networking sites, apps and games that are popular with children. 

The Net Aware guide is released annually and asks 1775 children and over 500 parents on the O2 / NSPCC Parent Advisory Board’ to review and rate the most popular social networking sites and apps.

The aim of the guide is to keep parents up to date on what sort of sites their child could be looking at and how they can stay safe online. 

The Net Aware guide is available online and can now be downloaded as a free mobile app from the Apple Store or Google Play. The guide can also be accessed on the web and there is also a host of video content on the subject.

Further info can be found here

Has anyone used this guide so far? What are your thoughts and could anything be done to improve the guide? 

NSPCC.png

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I have no need of it myself but anything that helps keep children safe is welcomed. I've passed on the information to my son. These days most kids can be found with their eyes glued to ipads, tablets or smart phones so parents need to take responsibility to monitor their activities and put safeguards in place.

Message 2 of 5

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Agreed @jonsie Kids spend so much time on the Internet these days and it can be hard for parents to keep up with the latest popular sites so things like this can be a big help. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 3 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I really welcomed this when I first noticed months ago that O2 were linking with the NSPCC. Anything that helps to keep kids safe is to be congratulated. However there will always be friends of your children who show them the way to get into sites that you, as a parent, would disapprove of....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 5

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I think that's a big part of the problem these days @Cleoriff the kids are often more computer savvy then the parents. Hopefully things like this guide can at least educate parents of what sort of things their children may be logging onto. 

signature

Message 5 of 5