Did you mean: 

Try The Tech - VR headsets up for grabs

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi guys, 

VR is predicted to be one of the biggest revolutions in how we view and interact with media. Whilst VR has been available in one form or another for quite a while now it's only recently computing power and other technologies have got to the point where VR is easily accessible in the home. With all the major gaming hardware manufacturers bringing out headsets in the coming months as well as smaller independent firms producing hardware, 2016 certainly seems to be the year that VR is going to take off!. 

With mobile handset displays rivaling those of HD TV sets and the on-board gyroscopes which are used by many apps VR is now more accessible then ever. A low cost accessory (in comparison to dedicated headsets) can turn your mobile into a VR headset! 

I'm happy to announce that we now have a fair few mobile compatible headsets available as part of Try The Tech! The headsets in question are very similar to the Google Cardboard headsets. If you want to know more about Try The Tech just click here for all the details. You can request one of these headsets by sending be a private message

The VR headsets can be a load of fun as demonstrated by the below video. We are very interested in hearing your thoughts on the headsets. 

There are also some fantastic games and experiences available for mobile VR. A few to look out for are listed below. 

City VR

This app is a must for any football fans out there. City VR uses footage of Manchester City men's and women's practicing their football skills and allows you to get up close and personal like never before!  

VR football.jpg

The Planets VR

Have you ever wanted to explore the Solar System in person? This app is the next best thing. Download this app and you can wonder across the barren but beautiful surfaces of the planets and moons of the Solar System with over 10 locations to enjoy. 

The Planets VR.png

End Space VR

Want a bit more action on your space adventure? Then this is the game for you! End Space VR is a first person shooter designed specifically for VR and see you battle increasingly more difficult waves of enemies. 

End-Space-VR.jpg

VR Dance Club

If you enjoy dancing then why not make it better with skeletons! VR Dance Club is a cheesy but fun VR experince which lets you take to the dance floor with a bunch of hat wearing skeletons. 

vr dance Club.png

VR Jurassic Land

Anyone who saw Jurassic Park in the 90's must have wondered what it's like to meet a dinosaur face to face. With VR Jurassic Land you can finally find out! With 5 dinosaurs to interact with and more to follow this app is a must for any VR user. 

VR-Jurassic-Landcardboard3.png

We would love to hear about any experiences you have had so far with VR. Either with the mobile compatible versions or a dedicated headset. How did you find the experience? Which games or simulations did you try? Did it give you motion sickness and most importantly do you have any tips for a first time user? 

Let me know in the comments below wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to TTT on a VR headset

If its 'owt like those cardboard glasses you get at the cinema with cellophane 'lenses' for 3d films I will speak straight & call a spade a shovel & invoke the phrase 'a bit like Blue Peter' back in the old days when BP did wonders with 'a cornflake packet + sticky backed plastic & a pair of Val's knickers' Smiley LOL wink

I've not done 'owt like this before but I'd really like to give it a go as I'm interested in VR but am very very unlikely to be able to afford any suitable device

Soooooo what do I do next?

Answers in words of no more than one syllable please slight_smile

Message 2 of 5

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

You can send  @Martin-O2 a PM and we can chat about what you can do with the headset slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Toby wrote:

Hi @Anonymous,

You can send  @Martin-O2 a PM and we can chat about what you can do with the headset slight_smile

Hi @Toby ... thank you, will do now ... don't expect miracles from me though ... but one volunteer is worth a 100 pressed men eh? wink

Message 4 of 5

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi @Toby ... thank you, will do now ... don't expect miracles from me though ... but one volunteer is worth a 100 pressed men eh? wink

Haha, couldn't agree more wink

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 5 of 5