Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Update from O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

27th February 2017 Update

Hi Everyone. This week we will be posting letters out to any customers who have not yet made arrangements with us to return their Samsung Note7 devices. If for any reason you misplace or do not receive it for whatever reason, here's a copy:

We’ll soon block the Note7 from our network. It’s important that you get in touch today and we’ll get you back on track with a new device.

We’ll make switching to a different device simple, and give you £100 off the upfront cost. Or, if you prefer, we’ll cancel your Airtime Plan. Either way, we’ll cancel and refund your Device Plan.

Is your Samsung Note7 insured with us? We’ll also cancel your policy and refund your premium.

Simply back up your Note7, turn it off and call our hotline 0344 809 0202 or 202 free from an O2 mobile. Need a hand backing it up? Chat to an O2 Guru online.

For more details, visit http://o2.uk/Note7Update.

If you’ve already called us, please ignore this letter.

30th January 2017 Update

Hello everyone,

Samsung have notified us of their plans to release a new mandatory software update that will limit Note 7 devices to a 0% charge, effectively eliminating its ability to function as a mobile device. This software update is expected to be pushed out tomorrow, 31st January, so if you are still using this device (which we don't recommend for your safety) please take any necessary steps to back up any important data while you can.

Why are you doing this?
To be transparent and clear, this is Samsung’s decision and is European-wide. This is a further step in Samsung looking to retrieve as many devices as possible so as to ensure customer safety.

I'm still using my Note 7 - what now?
Once your device downloads the mandatory update it will cease to charge. We understand the inconvenience this may cause and we want to make transitioning to another device as easy as possible. If you are affected by this, please contact us as soon as is convenient on 0344 809 0202. We will also be in touch in the coming days by email and letter with more details, including how to change to another device and return your Note 7 to us if not yet done so.

I've already returned my Note 7 - what does this mean to me?
If you've already returned your Note 7 to us, there's nothing further you need to do. If you're in this position, we anticipate you'll already have switched to an alternative device. If this isn’t the case though, we’d recommend you speak to us as soon as you’re able to on 0344 809 0202.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 1,893
1,892 REPLIES 1,892

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous, I believe my colleague Martin is talking to you about that?

@Glassbeard, I have answered your PM.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1671 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Toby yes he is - haven't heard back since last night.. he said he would investigate the email that I was sent slight_smile
Message 1672 of 1,893

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Ok thanks! I've answered your PM. I just need one detail and we'll look into getting you an update.

Get involved:

Message 1673 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Toby Have you got an official statement on the refund of the Note 7, should everyone be getting their line rental refunded?
Message 1674 of 1,893

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

Each case is dealt with on an individual basis. I don't have any info on that that reflects everyone who ordered a Note 7 I'm afraid. Calling our dedicated number will be the best way to discuss anything on your specific order.

Get involved:

Message 1675 of 1,893

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions
Message 1676 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been told I will be getting device plan refunded AND insurance refunded, I've been told I will NOT be getting my insurance refunded, only the device plan;  I have been told to hand over just the handset and nothing else and have been told to hand in everything including the box then I was told to hand in just the phone, charging brick and cable.  I've been told I can't get a refund until they have the device, and I've been told I will have my refund in 5 days.  I've been told to call Samsung for my refund.Crazy  The only common thing throughout all the calls I made over this new development is that there was no mention of line rental refund. Grumpy And when I asked about it I was told that doesn't exist. LOL

Do you have to be part of some exclusive club to get this?  Or should I be threatening to leave O2 in order to force them to offer it as a retention tactic? Thoughful I still have 12 days left on my new SIM Only cooling off period so maybe I should just throw O2 to the wolves and move to greener pastures? Cat Seeing as how the only constant I've seen from O2 for over the last two months is their inconsistency.

Message 1677 of 1,893

Glassbeard
  • 72 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I think i've had a revelation today.  O2 clearly work with UKMail in an attempt to make O2s customer service look together and competant.  15 days now since I was told they would call.  And call they did, once, for a couple of seconds before terminating the call and not leaving a message......

I think if this isn't resolved by saturday I'm going to just take the phone into my local o2 and sit on the counter until someone takes it off me and promises to give me my cash back!

Message 1678 of 1,893

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Just ring up and demand your refund prior.
Explain how you will dispose of it as o2 nor ukfail clearly want this potentially explosive device and maybe soon the press will learn about how users are being forced to keep the phones that have been recalled worldwide as a viable fire hazard.

Honestly. This whole recall process by all the networks has been the most crap case of customer service EVER!
Message 1679 of 1,893

Glassbeard
  • 72 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

In all seriousness though.  It's not the end of the world for me, I've got enough money to cover the current amount I'm owed.

However, I've worked in communications technology, support and management for 20 years now.  If I had handled even a minor incident at one of my workplaces in the manner that o2 have handled this incident I'd have been sacked on the spot.  Let alone a major incident...  For those I need to keep key stakeholders updated 3 or 4 times a day.

Also, not to put too fine a point on it, this is going to hurt o2 in the long run.  Early adopters of technology (especially mobile) tend to be people in influential technical roles within organisations.  As someone who these days designs corporate communication solutions and has direct influence over who my employers partner with I'm doubtful I cna work with o2 in the end.  I can handle this kind of situation as a punter, but my users are a little more demanding of me and any failure of my mobile provider of choice reflects directly on me as a key decision maker......

Message 1680 of 1,893