Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Update from O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

27th February 2017 Update

Hi Everyone. This week we will be posting letters out to any customers who have not yet made arrangements with us to return their Samsung Note7 devices. If for any reason you misplace or do not receive it for whatever reason, here's a copy:

We’ll soon block the Note7 from our network. It’s important that you get in touch today and we’ll get you back on track with a new device.

We’ll make switching to a different device simple, and give you £100 off the upfront cost. Or, if you prefer, we’ll cancel your Airtime Plan. Either way, we’ll cancel and refund your Device Plan.

Is your Samsung Note7 insured with us? We’ll also cancel your policy and refund your premium.

Simply back up your Note7, turn it off and call our hotline 0344 809 0202 or 202 free from an O2 mobile. Need a hand backing it up? Chat to an O2 Guru online.

For more details, visit http://o2.uk/Note7Update.

If you’ve already called us, please ignore this letter.

30th January 2017 Update

Hello everyone,

Samsung have notified us of their plans to release a new mandatory software update that will limit Note 7 devices to a 0% charge, effectively eliminating its ability to function as a mobile device. This software update is expected to be pushed out tomorrow, 31st January, so if you are still using this device (which we don't recommend for your safety) please take any necessary steps to back up any important data while you can.

Why are you doing this?
To be transparent and clear, this is Samsung’s decision and is European-wide. This is a further step in Samsung looking to retrieve as many devices as possible so as to ensure customer safety.

I'm still using my Note 7 - what now?
Once your device downloads the mandatory update it will cease to charge. We understand the inconvenience this may cause and we want to make transitioning to another device as easy as possible. If you are affected by this, please contact us as soon as is convenient on 0344 809 0202. We will also be in touch in the coming days by email and letter with more details, including how to change to another device and return your Note 7 to us if not yet done so.

I've already returned my Note 7 - what does this mean to me?
If you've already returned your Note 7 to us, there's nothing further you need to do. If you're in this position, we anticipate you'll already have switched to an alternative device. If this isn’t the case though, we’d recommend you speak to us as soon as you’re able to on 0344 809 0202.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 1,893
1,892 REPLIES 1,892

Lidenbrock
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 25 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

OK - Now I am really confused. O2 shop tells me they are waiting for a replacements and I will eventually be contacted to replace the Note7 currently in my possession (received 30/8/16). I can't switch it off since they tell me they will text me and I have no replacement handset. They haven't asked me for any of my details so I have to assume I am on their records for a replacement (that was end of last week).

Today I go on to chat - see below part of conversation:

"I have a Samsung note 7. They have all been recalled by Samsung. I am still waiting to find out when my one will be replaced. I still have the original phone I am supposed to be receiving a text instructing me to return to shop where a replacement will be waiting for me - however it is now nearly the end of September and as yet I have not heard what is happening.

Thanks for confirming.

I'll check this for you.

Thanks

Samsung is recalling only those handset which belong to a particular batch, All those handset which feel under that batch will get a call from them and that's the reason you didn't receive any such information because your handset didn't belong to that batch.

I would query that I am not part of the batch because Samsung have reduced my charge capability to 60% and said I should return the phone to O2 where it will be replaced. I have been in contact with the shop and they can't tell me when replacements are in. According to O2 community and Samsung all Note7s are being recalled.

only those faulty  handset are  recalled by Samsung if all those handset belong to a particular batch and your handset didn't belong to that batch."

Black my text, red the person at the other end of chat.

Now which one do I believe? Either way my phone has been restricted to charging of 60% until samsung can detect that my phone has been changed.

What's going on folks? - I need my phone, don't have a replacement. It cost me £750+. I am probably invalidating the insurance I pay to O2 because I'm still using, never mind the monthly SIM charge that I can't get full use of. You've probably realised I am getting a tad fed up. Please advise.

Message 1111 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
They are calling all handsets back if you have 60% then yours needs replacing otherwise it would have a green battery at the top. But your in the same boat as a lot of us being fed lies. They should also be doing a door swop when they replace them.
Message 1112 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

Note 7 pre-order cancelled. S7 Edge ordered with EE.

Sorry o2 but its your own fault

Incidentally went in Carphone this afternoon. They said they are getting stock in dribs and drabs and fulfilling preorders with that. All recalled note 7's with them have been exchanged already

Message 1113 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

Being a customer with O2 for nearly 10 years I've never seen such disgusting customer service ever or from anywhere for that matter, from the start of agreeing to my new contact I've had nothing but problems.

First I had to wait a week in order to get my old number transfered to the new contract after being told that it will take 24 hours to process.
Second my first bill was supposed to be £55 for the first month then £47 for the remaining but it ended up being £62.10 for the first month then £55 for the remaining, I asked why and told that that's how much the tariff is and will be till the end of my contract. I told them that's not what I agreed with and they said there's nothing I can do about.
Third the recall and negligence of O2 CS, I am yet to get any acknowledgement at all other than what Samsung has sent to my device and everytime I call CS they act like they know nothing.
And lastly after paying that ridiculous bill of £62.10 with a direct debit they had the f'in nerve to cut off my services over the weekend and the automated message said I owed £0.00.

I am lost for words and done with O2 at this point.

Message 1114 of 1,893

auntyk26
Level 1: Joiner
  • 26 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@Anonymous I'm glad it's not just me whose gone for s7 edge, don't feel so bad now.
Message 1115 of 1,893

Gsdworld21
Level 3: Thinker
  • 103 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The S7 Edge is a brilliant phone. I was considering that route but thankfully they sorted out my replacement. I really thought everyone would be sorted by now. It's not acceptable. Now they'll both play the blame game
Message 1116 of 1,893

auntyk26
Level 1: Joiner
  • 26 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Im just too impatient lol.
Message 1117 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lidenbrock That advisor is an idiot and I sincerely hope he/she hasn't spewed that story to someone who actually believed them Astounded!!! That person has no way of knowing squat about the batteries, to then be telling people whose device is affeced and whose isn't  Jaw-dropping.  If your update has limited your charge, then your battery is one of the affected, end of.  It may never catch fire, the chemical process that causes it to explode may never occur in thousands of these phones but that's not the point - the possibility is there, which is why it was a global recall and some governments have even banned the Note 7 on planes and trains! 

I say call O2 CS, do whatever it takes to speak to a manager and when you get to one tell her/him that Live Chat have taken it upon themselves to tell people they haven't received a call from O2 because their device is "not affected" when Samsung have made it abundantly clear that ALL DEVICES are to be returned and replaced asap.  

Email Complaints with all this for good measure, even better - call Samsung and alert them.  Someone said on here that Samsung advisors are already well aware that O2 is mishandling this - the more complaints they get from O2 customers, the more O2 are tightening the noose around their neck.

@Chris_K @Toby O2's incompetence is getting dangerous now.  But I'm sure this post will also be ignored.

Message 1118 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

After seeing the latest and greatest from O2 CS that @Lidenbrock shared... I am actually physically disgusted by O2..... I already have my replacement, and like most of you, went through hell to get it but I am actually ashamed to be signed to O2... I can't believe they would now resort to this - lying to people that their phones are safe to try and pacify people and cover their own bloody as*es......  To try and hide the fact that they simply can't cope.. with tactics like this they might as well just come out with a statement admitting they've sh*t the bed and they know it.  At this point nothing can excuse them for the way they are (dare I say..) "handling" this.... 

Message 1119 of 1,893

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
I would like to assume all Note7 customers all get 25% data extra cus they have had to wait so long for their handsets?
Message 1120 of 1,893