cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 4G Rollout update-

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Guys,

We’ve just announced some really great stats for our 4G rollout and some  new information on what’s coming next!

Here’s an overview of where our 4G is at the minute-

-Available to 33% of the population indoors and 41% of the population outdoors

-Already in 191 towns and Cities across the UK spanning to 20 million people

-Over 1 million O2 customers now on 4G

Here’s what we’re doing to make 2,3 and 4G better

- Nationwide upgrade of existing masts

- 25% of masts upgraded by 2014

- An additional £16 million committed to delivering data services to over 200 areas that have never had data before!

- Investment on top of the £1.5 million per day equivalent network spend

4G data stat alert*

In the last year since we launched 4G customers have used more data than the combined period between 2000 to 2008! That’s a lot of data.

For more on this check here

These are ambitious plans guys, let us know what you think and if you’ve already started to see and make use of the improvements that have come with 4G.

What more would you like to see from us for 2014 and beyond?

Of course in 2015 everyone will be using Segways whilst using our Google glass or the Apple or Samsung, HTC and beyond equivalent…

But never the less- let us know what you think!

Thanks

Brad

Message 1 of 141
140 REPLIES 140

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Looks like the Government have paid for an installation under the Mobile Improvement Project, a £150m package from Govt to address mobile not spots. So a mast has gone in which all 4 networks share. O2 and Voda have gone live heme 4g signal.

Now that would be common sense...

Message 91 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable
What a shame that couldn't happen nationally them we could all have great signal.

It looks like this is one of the first places and the signal will apparently travel 30km so will be interesting to see how this pans out, ie where this is still in test or not.
Message 92 of 141

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 93 of 141

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Looks like the Government have paid for an installation under the Mobile Improvement Project, a £150m package from Govt to address mobile not spots. So a mast has gone in which all 4 networks share. O2 and Voda have gone live heme 4g signal.

Sounds sensible. They should aim for this across the board slight_smile

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 94 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep thinking:

"surely they must know where they have sent the engineers!?", "Why can't they even just say a rough location!?"

"surely they must have a list of sorts of the order they think they are going to visit the locations!?", "I know it may change, but why can't they give us any information!?"

I do understand that o2 may not have exact dates but they must have a rough idea? they must have a plan?  I know o2 can't give us anything set in stone, but it would be nice to at least be kept in the loop?

I wonder if there is anywhere we could get details about highest use areas in the uk for o2 customers? presumably london etc are going to be at the top of the list! maybe that will give us an idea of where o2 are targetting their updates... Does anybody know of such a list or where we could get one?

Message 95 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's something many members have been asking for ~ for a long time.

O2 simply won't or cannot pre release this info.
Message 96 of 141

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can try your local planning department to see if any planning applications have been submitted.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 97 of 141

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Strangely enough I picked up a 4G signal (on giffgaff) just 2 miles from my home in a little village. There was work on a mast in my area yesterday but alas the signal had disappeared when I reached home. Positive signs though....

Message 98 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you actually investing anything in 4G?

I was told the end of 2014 for my area, DY10..........Actually, having been a customer since 2007 I'm getting a little tired of the wait.

At my place of work, TF11, my colleagues can surf the net in the building with a 3G signal. EE, Vodafone, 3, T mobile, Virgin all have good signal. O2? I can barely get GPRS!

Out in the local countryside, to an area I frequent, WV16, and I watch others surf the net, albeit outside, but relatively stable and a modest speed. O2? No data signal at all. To the point I cannot even send a text message and often I'm unable to connect a call either. 

My daughter can get a 4G signal on EE in several places on the east of town, places where I sometimes struggle to get 3G!

The advice when I enquired about 4G was 'go to Birmingham'. That's great for people who work or visit there regularly, I don't. 

I've got 150+mb broadband at home so it's not like I'm in some backwater.

As I'm due to upgrade to an iphone 6 very shortly, or in a couple months, depending on stock, I have to question the reasons why I'd want to stay with O2.

I'd be spending a considerable amount of money on a phone and data plan which would be, on current estimates, fairly useless at the majority of locations I visit. This situation would likely last for the duration of the contract, rendering the expense pointless. 

Use some of your cash revenue, get a 4G mast, bolt it to a building in town sharpish, turn it on, do us loyal customers a favour, it really isn't that hard.

You've only got a couple of weeks to implement this otherwise I'm off, other companies would love my £60 a month I'm prepared to pay, they may even include a data package that I can use. 

You will realise that I'd actually like to stay with O2, but I'm not getting the service in my area........

Message 99 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable
As you are aware, o2 are a year into a 4 year programme to upgrade is network with a requirement to provide 98% of the population with 2g 3g and 4g. To date they have reached 45% and the rollout continues.

O2 are not releasing a roll out schedule even though we continually ask for it so i suspect whoever advised you 2014 may not have been speaking officially.
Message 100 of 141