cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 4G Rollout update-

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Guys,

We’ve just announced some really great stats for our 4G rollout and some  new information on what’s coming next!

Here’s an overview of where our 4G is at the minute-

-Available to 33% of the population indoors and 41% of the population outdoors

-Already in 191 towns and Cities across the UK spanning to 20 million people

-Over 1 million O2 customers now on 4G

Here’s what we’re doing to make 2,3 and 4G better

- Nationwide upgrade of existing masts

- 25% of masts upgraded by 2014

- An additional £16 million committed to delivering data services to over 200 areas that have never had data before!

- Investment on top of the £1.5 million per day equivalent network spend

4G data stat alert*

In the last year since we launched 4G customers have used more data than the combined period between 2000 to 2008! That’s a lot of data.

For more on this check here

These are ambitious plans guys, let us know what you think and if you’ve already started to see and make use of the improvements that have come with 4G.

What more would you like to see from us for 2014 and beyond?

Of course in 2015 everyone will be using Segways whilst using our Google glass or the Apple or Samsung, HTC and beyond equivalent…

But never the less- let us know what you think!

Thanks

Brad

Message 1 of 141
140 REPLIES 140

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
5G won't be here until 2020 at the very earliest - There isn't even an established common standard yet for it.
We too have despaired at the lack of 4g rollout info from O2..... 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 121 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable
South Korea are already using Advanced LTE and carphone warehouses have already advertised this in an email they sent.. Stating next year EE shall be testing this out and that all 2015 handsets will have it ready and waiting
Message 122 of 141

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Many of this years handsets are LTE-A capable already - we just need the networks to catch up 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 123 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it's bad how most of us are only just getting 4G and Korea have LTE -A
Just shows how much behind the UK is 😞
Message 124 of 141

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Always have been behind, but then again, we don't pay as much for our mobile services either so there is less money overall to invest.....

Currently using:
Message 125 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable
Surely around £40pm from almost every person would be enough... Then we've got business accounts too.. I can't get to into it because I don't really know what profit the mobile companies are making....
Message 126 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
It's more complicated than that and the 2013 annual shareholders report is here (if you want to send yourself to sleep) http://www.telefonica.com/en/shareholders-investors/pdf/20140320_Consolidated_Annual_Accounts_311213...
but the bottom line is there is currently a daily investment spend of 1.5 million, just to keep up with current demand of 2g/3g/4g services, so there isn't a lot left over to invest in future technology.

Currently using:
Message 128 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow... That's an eye opener thanks lol
Message 129 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable
WTF is happening with the O2 4g rollout, has it stopped?? I have heard nothing of any cities getting upgraded from before Xmas. I live in hull and we still don't have it, according to reports hull was supposed to have 4g towards the end of last year.
Message 130 of 141