cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 4G Rollout update-

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Guys,

We’ve just announced some really great stats for our 4G rollout and some  new information on what’s coming next!

Here’s an overview of where our 4G is at the minute-

-Available to 33% of the population indoors and 41% of the population outdoors

-Already in 191 towns and Cities across the UK spanning to 20 million people

-Over 1 million O2 customers now on 4G

Here’s what we’re doing to make 2,3 and 4G better

- Nationwide upgrade of existing masts

- 25% of masts upgraded by 2014

- An additional £16 million committed to delivering data services to over 200 areas that have never had data before!

- Investment on top of the £1.5 million per day equivalent network spend

4G data stat alert*

In the last year since we launched 4G customers have used more data than the combined period between 2000 to 2008! That’s a lot of data.

For more on this check here

These are ambitious plans guys, let us know what you think and if you’ve already started to see and make use of the improvements that have come with 4G.

What more would you like to see from us for 2014 and beyond?

Of course in 2015 everyone will be using Segways whilst using our Google glass or the Apple or Samsung, HTC and beyond equivalent…

But never the less- let us know what you think!

Thanks

Brad

Message 1 of 141
140 REPLIES 140

Anonymous
Not applicable
My biggest worry ironically is not the 2017 timetable. Even though that is frustrating i find 3g when i have it generally good enough as long as there is transmission capacity.

No my biggest worry is that by 2017 the upgraded 2g 3g and 4g networks will already by unable to cope particularly with data.

We are already seeing some 4g areas struggling to keep up as reported on here by other members. If that trend continues then the issue will not go away.
Message 61 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable
It certainly is going to be an interesting and frustrating time all rolled into one for some ahead.
Message 62 of 141

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
If that trend continues then the issue will not go away.

No, but many customers will, which ironically, will alleviate the issue !!

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 63 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unless all the networks have the same issue in which case nothing would change.

The positive in me is that the fibre networks will be next in line for upgrade and that is where voda are strong. They own one! !!
Message 64 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just thought I would add my thoughts about all this.

I note that the second post on this thread from o2 was posted on ‎11-04-2014 15:27 saying "we're planning a few things in the community to give you guys an opportunity to understand the plans more. More on that will be out soon". I wouldn't consider 5 months 'soon'.

I have contacted O2 on a number of occasions, email, online, phone. All I get told is, use the coverage checker.

The coverage checker tells me where 4g is NOW not when will I get 4g! Their second response is 'sign up for updates' which (as with others) I did right at the biginning with absolutely no communication sinse.

The reason I would like to know when it will be available for where I work/where I live/where I travel is that will make a difference to which tarriff I go with. no 4g for a year = low data and 3g contract, 4g within a year = high data and 4g.

I've always liked o2 and I have been with them for many many years.  Coverage has always been good and I've generally got a good deal on my contract.

Recently however I've experienced a very different side to o2:

- my phone wasn't repaired after a manufacturer fault caused the screen to break

- my bills have been hiked up

- my unlimited internet bolton was removed even though I was assured it would never go

- I've been insulted by sales staff (most notably when attempting to get my phone repaired on manufacturer warranty)

- and now o2 won't give me any information about 4g

I took a quick look around and found another network, with 4g in my area could half my bill and as part of that give me unlimited data also.

I'm loyal, but if this goes on much longer, I think a change may be in order!  (the other network offered to buy me out of my contract)

O2, we would all very much appreciate an update. Any update will do, just assure us that your not just sat around watching TV, drinking coffee and avoiding any work, hoping that your customers will stay with you forever!

Message 65 of 141

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All fair and reasonable points.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 66 of 141

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes unfortunately O2 will not / cannot give future 4G rollout dates for areas. 😞

Something a lot of members / customers have been asking for.
Message 67 of 141

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Despite constantly asking for some form of rollout plan our requests fall on deaf ears. Maybe it's because their plans change dependent on money available...

Message 68 of 141

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi glosuser,

I shall ask again to see if there is any news. Rest assured, I want to share info with you as soon as its possible to do so slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 69 of 141

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

On the status page I'm informed that tomorrow the 10th O2 will again be working on a mast in my area. This is the 5th time in 3 months and each time I cross my fingers that they will upgrade to 4G. Each time disappointment floods over me and I don't see any different outcome tomorrow in honesty. Surely it's not asking too much for some form of timescale? I would settle for weeks rather than the totally meaningless 'by 2017'!

Message 70 of 141