Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD Voice is rolling out on O2!

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

You're about to notice an evolutionary step in the quality of voice calls on O2. Starting this week we'll be rolling out HD Voice across our network – our network will work fine alongside this rollout and there will be no loss of service due to it. HD Voice is just one of the ways we’re making O2 a ‘smarter network’ for our customers.

What's HD Voice?
HD (High Definition) Voice gives you crystal clear voice calls. It also filters out background noise, so if you're stood in a busy street or at the train station, the person you're calling will be able to hear you loud and clear. And the best part is you won't be charged any differently for an HD Voice call.

What are the HD Voice requirements?

• A compatible phone (see section below)
  • The latest software available for your phone
  • Both you and the person you're speaking to need to be on O2 and in a 3G area

Note: If you notice any change in quality during an HD Voice call, this will be if one of you has lost your 3G signal.

Compatible phones
HD Voice is ready to use on the following phones on the latest software update- iPhone 5, 5c, 5s, 6 & 6 Plus

• Samsung Galaxy S3, S3 Mini, S4, S4 Mini, S5 & S6
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Note 4
  • Sony Xperia E1, E3, M2, SP, Z1, Z2 Compact, Z3, Z3 Compact
  • Lumia 520, 530, 625, 630, 635, 735, 1020
  • Nokia 909.1
  • HTC One, M8 & M9
  • BlackBerry 9320

Note: More and more handsets will become compatible in time with new software updates so keep your eyes peeled for any new updates headed your way that may enable this.

Activating HD Voice
As long as you meet the requirements above, you don’t need to do anything to activate HD Voice. There are no settings to configure – we’ll handle the rest on our end.

Experience it...
As we've been testing and rolling it out, some of you may already have experienced it. And if you haven't, hopefully you will soon once the rollout finishes. At the next X-Factor auditions maybe you can sing down the phone to the judges instead of going in person?

If you've had an HD Voice call already on O2, let us know your thoughts and feedback below... We'd love to hear from you.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 62
61 REPLIES 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

It's a nice freeby but no idea why they haven't made a noise about it: http://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-and-coverage/hd-voice

Possibly because they're a little late to the party, as it's not really a new development  Smiley Indifferent

Message 51 of 62

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Very late - Three had it years ago.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 52 of 62

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Well its taken such a long time coming and maybe because the other networks beat them to it a good while back, they don't want to shout about it?

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mobile-phones/1401344/vodafone-gets-hd-voice-makes-callers-sound-huma...

Message 53 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ive found that on every occasion when I notice the improvement, the audio quality then reverted back to the normal quality so far through the call. I can't understand this as I and also the caller had 3G coverage and we also have phones that are able to make use of the HD voice feature (iPhone 6 & 6 Plus).

With the HD Voice needing 3G, 4G to be able to work, then that's where the issue is that I'm seeing, I'm finding O2’s data side is shockingly poor in my neck of the woods and by that I mean extremely slow and a patchy 3G coverage. I'll definitely be leaving O2 this year with a view to moving to Three or EE (depending which has 4G in my area in September).
Message 54 of 62

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Hey, thought I'd let u lot know. Giffgaff have announced they've rolled out HD voice over there now!

As I couldn't remember where I'd discussed it previously, I've started a thread in discussions about it!

Charlie.
Message 55 of 62

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Deleted by me....hahaha

Must stop multitasking...and posting wrong stuff in the wrong thread LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 56 of 62

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Haha, not doing well with links this afternoon, am i!? I'm blaming.... No, I've got nothing!

Hah
Message 57 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi guys,

I have noticed that when speaking with my wife - we're both on O2, Samsung S5 on lollipop 5.0, very often there's a sort of crackling noise on the background... especially in a very congested area, Oxford Circus. For example if i call another number the quality is usually good and no weird noise.

Also i noticed that just by walking A LITTLE, then is very easy to lose the 4G on the phone, then the data completely goes away and i can tell that voice quality gets much lower.

This is a bit annoying and for the time being i set both phones on 3G and it seems much more solid.

Is that a case that the 4G network is already too congested or VERY sensitive if you walk?

Anyone noticed that as well?

Regards,

Gabrio

Message 58 of 62

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Calls will always drop to 3G. You should be having better call quality due to O2 introducing digital sound calls now.

Message 59 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Calls will always drop to 3G. You should be having better call quality due to O2 introducing digital sound calls now.

hi Jonsie,

yes - you are absolutely right, 4G does not stay on during the call - i read about that one on XDA that is by design - what i meant to say is that, during the call there is this bad background noise - which doesn't happen if phones are set on 3G only - and on top of that, very often the H/H+ also completely goes away during the call, so say i cannot check an email while i am on the call (which shouldnt happen) and call quality is really low.

let's hope this digital sound makes a difference, otherwise will leave on 3G only for now and when i want more speed turn 4G back on. oh well.. moving on slight_smile

Message 60 of 62