Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD Voice is rolling out on O2!

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

You're about to notice an evolutionary step in the quality of voice calls on O2. Starting this week we'll be rolling out HD Voice across our network – our network will work fine alongside this rollout and there will be no loss of service due to it. HD Voice is just one of the ways we’re making O2 a ‘smarter network’ for our customers.

What's HD Voice?
HD (High Definition) Voice gives you crystal clear voice calls. It also filters out background noise, so if you're stood in a busy street or at the train station, the person you're calling will be able to hear you loud and clear. And the best part is you won't be charged any differently for an HD Voice call.

What are the HD Voice requirements?

• A compatible phone (see section below)
  • The latest software available for your phone
  • Both you and the person you're speaking to need to be on O2 and in a 3G area

Note: If you notice any change in quality during an HD Voice call, this will be if one of you has lost your 3G signal.

Compatible phones
HD Voice is ready to use on the following phones on the latest software update- iPhone 5, 5c, 5s, 6 & 6 Plus

• Samsung Galaxy S3, S3 Mini, S4, S4 Mini, S5 & S6
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Note 4
  • Sony Xperia E1, E3, M2, SP, Z1, Z2 Compact, Z3, Z3 Compact
  • Lumia 520, 530, 625, 630, 635, 735, 1020
  • Nokia 909.1
  • HTC One, M8 & M9
  • BlackBerry 9320

Note: More and more handsets will become compatible in time with new software updates so keep your eyes peeled for any new updates headed your way that may enable this.

Activating HD Voice
As long as you meet the requirements above, you don’t need to do anything to activate HD Voice. There are no settings to configure – we’ll handle the rest on our end.

Experience it...
As we've been testing and rolling it out, some of you may already have experienced it. And if you haven't, hopefully you will soon once the rollout finishes. At the next X-Factor auditions maybe you can sing down the phone to the judges instead of going in person?

If you've had an HD Voice call already on O2, let us know your thoughts and feedback below... We'd love to hear from you.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 62
61 REPLIES 61

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Wifi should not affect call quality and hd audio is only activated when you are getting 3g
Message 41 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable

oh okay, so my issue could be an actual hardware issue 😞

Message 42 of 62

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Or a mast issue
Message 43 of 62

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
What phones are we talking about?
If you have options for "enhanced voice" (or similar) in call settings, turn them off.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 44 of 62

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 45 of 62

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Lots of different names for it depending on handset but it shouldn't be an issue to have NR on as this uses a different mic to cancel out external noise.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 46 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable

note 4 (me)

S5 (Partner)

i've just disabled Noise reduction, will get her to do the same today too.

thanks

Message 47 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have noticed a couple of times over the last 5 days or so the improvement in audio quality.

Although I found that on the occasions when I noticed the improvement, the audio quality then reverted back to the normal quality so far through the call. I can't understand this as I and also the caller had 3G coverage.

If I'm honest and if the HD voice is going to be as intermitant as this, then I find it of not much use

Message 48 of 62

Chl0e
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just found this page after i googled strange voice change from o2, i had no idea of this HD voice change happening, would have been nice if o2 would have sent a text message or email out to its customers informing us of this, i thought i had been hacked or something, it never happened to any other calls i made only to my partner who is on o2 same as me, we use to contantly hang up and redial until we got a clear line, now that i know its a new thing i can rest assured, my thoughts at first is total wierd, my partner sounds different like super clear, almost like he is in a box and nothing else exists, so it does cut out all background noise which is a bonus, would take some getting use to the voice change, sounds like he is standing right next to me, now it works sometimes for us but not always, his phone is one of the compatable ones samsung s3, but mine isnt on the list, though it works for us when we call each other, i have a Moto G and it does work fine for us more than it doesnt, but let us know next time you change things please o2.

Message 49 of 62

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

It's a nice freeby but no idea why they haven't made a noise about it: http://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-and-coverage/hd-voice

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 50 of 62