Did you mean: 

Gear-up for the Windows Phone - Virtual Interview

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hello Community folks!

Hot on the heels of our Android Virtual Interview with our Device Team, we're going to host a similar Virtual Interview session on the 5th February from 12:30pm to 14:00pm (90mins) - this time round, it will be all about Windows Phone. We’ll have Martin Heap, Richard Biltcliffe, & Shaun Watt (same from our Android Virtual Interview) to answer your questions and share some insights around Windows Phone.

WP

Virtual Interview topics always generate a lot of interest over and above people asking questions - to make it easier for us and the team to collate and spot questions easily, we request to make your questions out in bold if you can please!

To ask a question you'll need to be a registered community member and be logged in. Here’s all you need to know --> http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/What-s-the-O2-community-and-how-to-get-started/td-p/426482

We look forward to hear your questions!

Thanks

Chris 

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Question: When will we see an O2 Wifi app and a My O2 app showing balance/boltons/useage etc ? There seems to be one in the German Windows store.

Question: Is there a reason why the O2 app in the Windows Store hasn't been updated since October 2012.

Thanks

Message 11 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!

Quick question, I already have a Windows Phone which is a Nokia Lumia 800, but a few months after buying it, Windows Phone 8 came out. Sadly the older Windows Phones could not be upgraded to the latest software and new apps where not released on older phones. I will more than likely be buying a Lumia 1020 within the coming weeks, but one important thing is, once a new version of windows phone software becomes available, will Windows 8 phones be updagred to the new software or will a new phone have to be brought again. As with Andriod phones and Iphones when a new operating systems come out (Jelly Bean etc) older phones can usually be upgraded without fuss.

Thanks for your help!

Message 12 of 22

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Some great questions here guys!

The Virtual Interview will commence tomorrow so if you have any more questions, now's your chance.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 13 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey everone!

We're here for the next hour and a half answering all your questions.

Feel free to keep them coming, the more the merrier slight_smile

Shaun and Richard

Message 14 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I certainly do.

Question: Are there any plans for a native My O2 app that doesn't just go to the wap site?

Hey Colonel_K

Right now we’re working hard to get our key apps on WP8. The aim is to get many of them out by the middle of this year, if not sooner. When they’re ready we’ll put them in O2 App Space on the WP Store and let you know here and on all the other social channels.

Message 15 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Question: When O2 released the Lumia 1020, they released a 64-GB variant exclusive to O2 (other networks only got a 32GB version).  Will O2 be releasing any other exclusive larger memory Windows Phone devices?

Hey Again slight_smile

Soon as we know anything we'll let you know here and other channels. No news at the minute.

Message 16 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Question: As part of Microsoft's Developer program, Microsoft released an early version of Update 3 (formerly called GDR 3) that could be installed on WP8 devices. Since this release came from Microsoft and not O2, would this have invalidated the warranty if the device was originaly bought from O2?

Hey Colonel_K,

The quick answer is yes, it may well bring the warranty of the device under question as the software is not a device vendor or Operator approved software. The software released by vendors (e.g. Nokia's Black software update), is fully approved by all parties whereas GDR software is released as a developer software only, by Microsoft.

During the download and installation of the software update clear disclaimers and terms are shown that need to be accepted before proceeding.

Message 17 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Question: When software updates are released (for the Nokia Lumias), they are generally released around the world at the same time and pushed out by the local carriers, i.e. O2

You could see this with both Amber and Black being released around the world at the same time by many carriers in different countries.

Do O2 have any advanced knowledge of when these rollouts will occur?  If so, how much notice do they have and is there any way they could notify customers in advance of a release?

(Sorry for such a long question !).

You again... wink

Yes we do, but as the device manufacturer controls the software and update process, timings and schedules can change quickly without much warning.

O2 always try to be ready to test and approve the software when it is made available to us so that the device vendor can schedule the over-the-air updates. Even when we have approved a software however, the schedules for releasing it to customers can change as well, so if we notify people of release dates in advance, we may be giving out incorrect information and we wouldn't want anyone to be dissapointed. 

Message 18 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Question: When will we see an O2 Wifi app and a My O2 app showing balance/boltons/usage etc ? There seems to be one in the German Windows store.

Question: Is there a reason why the O2 app in the Windows Store hasn't been updated since October 2012.

Thanks

Hey Space_Captain,

WP8 apps are a real priority for us, we're currently working on My O2 and O2 Wifi and both are on the roadmap for this year!

We are going to deliver a richer experience for the O2 app. If you have any suggestions for any particular feature or capability, let us know or PM Toby. 

Message 19 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi!

Quick question, I already have a Windows Phone which is a Nokia Lumia 800, but a few months after buying it, Windows Phone 8 came out. Sadly the older Windows Phones could not be upgraded to the latest software and new apps where not released on older phones. I will more than likely be buying a Lumia 1020 within the coming weeks, but one important thing is, once a new version of windows phone software becomes available, will Windows 8 phones be updagred to the new software or will a new phone have to be brought again. As with Andriod phones and Iphones when a new operating systems come out (Jelly Bean etc) older phones can usually be upgraded without fuss.

Thanks for your help!

Hey lumia800,

Not all devices will have the capability to be upgraded to the latest platform update, ultimately as with anything this is decided by the manufacturer and the operating system supplier.

There are a number of factors that can make a manufacturer decide not to continue with newer software updates, for example hardware constraints. If the manufacturer chooses to provide newer software we'll let you know.

Message 20 of 22