cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when o2 network gets taken over by 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have kept with O2 for the last 15 years (actually now Tesco but same coverage so I don't care) as the coverage is pretty reliable where I work. 

I'm excited by the prospect of being taken over by 3 because they seem to be the only provider with a decent 'unlimited' data policy - and that you can use data and minutes in Europe 'like at home' instead of being borderline criminally overcharged for merely visiting a couple of websites or checking flight details.

Does anyone have any idea when this changeover will happen - or will I have to just get a 3 PAYG again for when I travel?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 3 have put a bid in for it and it's been checked which could take upto a year or more ...so not for a while yet.

Message 2 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144307 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
It'll be a good 12 months before anything definite happens.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is subject to regulatory clearance, which may take upto a year, assuming no problems crop up.

Message 5 of 13

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Deag
Level 9: Fired up
  • 134 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 13 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I have kept with O2 for the last 15 years (actually now Tesco but same coverage so I don't care) as the coverage is pretty reliable where I work. 

I'm excited by the prospect of being taken over by 3 because they seem to be the only provider with a decent 'unlimited' data policy - and that you can use data and minutes in Europe 'like at home' instead of being borderline criminally overcharged for merely visiting a couple of websites or checking flight details.

Does anyone have any idea when this changeover will happen - or will I have to just get a 3 PAYG again for when I travel?

And no guarantee that Three tariffs will be applied to O2 or that the tariffs they currently have will continue. We may find the market is less competitive and as Three will be the laregst network they may not want to have the best tariffs, the biggest supplier rarely offers the best deals (look at EE, the largest at the moment). 

Message 7 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Personally I don't see it taking that long.

I certainly hope you're right @jonsie If not, there are going to be a thousand threads like this one asking the same question. Bang

If the OP wants a take on what may happen when Three takes over, they should take a look at this thread and read the post from gadget_hq, who has had experience of the Three takeover of O2 Ireland.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/When-3-take-over-o2/td-p/863760/page/2

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the replies (and the links to O2 Ireland).

IIRC BT's takeover of EE was announced after 3's proposed takeover of O2 but BT are already selling sims and offering 'quad play' bundles including 4G plans.   So why the delay?

I'll repeat what I said above, the best innovation that any provider has done recently has been 3's 'use like at home' facility in Europe.  It removes the 'gotcha' swindle of stupidly high overseas data charges.  I'm not suggesting that it should necessarily be done 'for free' as clearly there are costs to the provider but excessive charges are just profiteering.   If 3 can do it (and clearly they aren't bankrupt yet) then all of them can.

Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 144307 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
BT are currently just using EE network as a MVNO - The sale isn't finalised yet either.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 13