cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Value added service"

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was on holiday in Europe recently and accidentally turned on date roaming one day while trying to brighten the screen (they're next to each other and I couldn't see what I was doing properly due to reflections - hence the need to brighten it).  I turned it off immediately, but not before the phone had downloaded a tiny bit of data.  I knew I'd be charged £1.99 for it, and sure enough, it's on my bill, itemised for the day in question as £1.66 (which comes to £1.99 with VAT). It's itemised as "O2 travel data" as you'd expect. So far, so good.

But there's a second chage on my bill of £1.66 (£1.99 inc VAT).  It's in a different section of the bill headed "Other charges and credits" and is simply described as "value added service" with no further clue as to what it relates to. I only turned on data roaming that one time, so it can't be that, as it's already itemised in the bill (£1.99 is the flat daily rate)- and  in any event, if the charge related to O2 travel, I'd expect it to be shown as that, with details of the date, as it was with the other £1.66 charge.

Has anyone else had this?  I should only have to pay the £1.99 once for the O2 travel, as I only used it (accidentally) on one day.  It wasn't late in the evening, so it didn't straddle two days.  I'm not too happy about paying for something without knowing what it is.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still not sorted - can't get through to Customer Service - have been cut off twice.

Live chat is useles - scripted answers and not listening to what I am asking.

Will try CS again later

Message 31 of 42

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93231 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've now heard back again, they are still investigating why I was charged on some days but not on others!

They've given me a credit for the charges as a gesture of goodwill which I appreciate very much.

What I'm disappointed with is a feature on your phone which is designed to stop data roaming charges doesn't work 100% - I will be taking this up with Apple again.

Message 33 of 42

jonsie
  • 93231 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

At least you have been refunded but still rather worrying for the next time you go overseas. You should be able to go with peace of mind, satisfied in the knowledge as to how you will be charged when following the recommended guidelines. You can't do that as things stand.

Message 34 of 42

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
This has been reported as a potential Apple bug previously....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 35 of 42

jonsie
  • 93231 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions
Message 36 of 42

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Supposedly fixed in iOS8 though......?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 37 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will be interesting to see, I'm currnetly running IOS 8 on a new iPhone 6 (upgraded last weekend). Will have to try it for a 24 hour period and see if it connects to data with roaming turned off.

Message 38 of 42

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Do let us know please.....?

Currently using:
Message 39 of 42

jonsie
  • 93231 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions