cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Value added service"

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was on holiday in Europe recently and accidentally turned on date roaming one day while trying to brighten the screen (they're next to each other and I couldn't see what I was doing properly due to reflections - hence the need to brighten it).  I turned it off immediately, but not before the phone had downloaded a tiny bit of data.  I knew I'd be charged £1.99 for it, and sure enough, it's on my bill, itemised for the day in question as £1.66 (which comes to £1.99 with VAT). It's itemised as "O2 travel data" as you'd expect. So far, so good.

But there's a second chage on my bill of £1.66 (£1.99 inc VAT).  It's in a different section of the bill headed "Other charges and credits" and is simply described as "value added service" with no further clue as to what it relates to. I only turned on data roaming that one time, so it can't be that, as it's already itemised in the bill (£1.99 is the flat daily rate)- and  in any event, if the charge related to O2 travel, I'd expect it to be shown as that, with details of the date, as it was with the other £1.66 charge.

Has anyone else had this?  I should only have to pay the £1.99 once for the O2 travel, as I only used it (accidentally) on one day.  It wasn't late in the evening, so it didn't straddle two days.  I'm not too happy about paying for something without knowing what it is.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It is strange and I can only think it's to do with ios. The update to 8.1 is later today so it will be interesting to note any change in this.

Message 21 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll be updating later!

Will see what happens on next months bill and see what the network investigation turns up

Thanks

Message 22 of 42

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Keep us updated please.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 42

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
There is an issue that was supposed to be addressed in iOS8 whereby receiving an SMS could open up a data connection, so that might explain the small amounts being billed ?

How would that work though if data roaming was set to off? Or was iOS7 cirumventing its own settings to open a data connection?

Sorry, I haven't kept up to date with this side of things

Message 25 of 42

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Or was iOS7 cirumventing its own settings to open a data connection?

That was the suggestion.......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 26 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Spoke with Apple also and they helped me check some settings which were all as they should have been.

Just spoken with O2 again - they claim it not to be an issue their end.

But that still doesn't explain why my bills show usage on 15 other days since June which I haven't been charged for! They couldn't explain this to me and told me I should be please I hadn't been charged! They are now carrying out a further investigation and will email me when it's complete (I didn't get an email about the 1st investigation as I'd opted out of receiving emails from O2 - have you heard anything so ridiculous, not responding to a complaint because of a marketing email option!!)

I don't wnat to pay this bill as it will make it more difficult to dispute but I also don't want to cancel my DD as they will black mark my credit rating.

Watch this space . . . . . . 

Message 27 of 42

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just ask for your bill to be put into dispute until the investigation has been completed.

Currently using:
Message 28 of 42

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, will try that

Message 30 of 42