cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"O2 basic" - is it a unicorn?

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 BASIC PAYG tariff via retentions:

I've just spent an incredibly frustrating and fruitless hour on the phone to O2 retentions department being informed that no such tariff exists, or ever has within living memory.  Those of you who have it are delusional, apparently.

Can anyone teach me the secret password or handshake or raindance I need to know in order to have O2 retentions say "OOOOOHHHHH - you mean THAT basic tariff? with the 15p  minute call charge.  No problem"

Please help!

I want this PAYG for my young daughter who will be severely restricted on which numbers she can call (mine and husband's) - there will be no texts at all used, and data will be limited to whatever is required to keep her children's smartwatch functioning as a GPS tracker.  No downloading / streaming / browsing.

It is for a childs' smartwatch with SIM that a child can use to call parents, and parents can call child and also track them through a location app.

I do not need a big bundle of nonsense, and I do not anticipate high useage.  (although as we establish exactly what useage will look like, I want to avoid any nasty surprises) I don't want credit to expire at the end of the month, and I don't want 30p per minute costs either.

Is this tariff urban legend?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

la7
Level 4: Observant
  • 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I changed a big bundles sim over to o2 basic via retentions two days ago calls 15p text 5p   

Message 11 of 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@la7 wrote:

I changed a big bundles sim over to o2 basic via retentions two days ago calls 15p text 5p   

Thanks for confirming the Basic tariff is still 'alive and well' @la7. It does appear the dept to call is retentions.?

Although checking back @Anonymous did go through retentions who weren't as helpful. It must depend on the advisor then..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 18

MI5
  • 143451 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It always has been by invitation only which is why it's not a published tariff.
No idea what the invitation criteria is though?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 18

la7
  • 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That is correct call up o2 and select the option that says thinking of leaving o2 tell them your on big bundles that is a tariff that if you top up it will take your credit and you do not want that as the phone is for occasional use, I also think it depends to whom you get put though to and how polite you are as well but i have never had a issue switching to it done it for a few people now, Even switch some sims to web & text and text & call tariffs recently aswell  

Details of o2 basic from my o2

Standard rates

Charges for minutes, texts and data outside your tariff and Bolt On allowances.

O2 Basic
Top Up 4444Free
Tariffs and Bolt Ons 2202Free
UK landlines (01, 02 or 03) 15p/min
O2 mobiles 15p/min
Other UK network mobiles 15p/min
Text message 5p per message
Picture message 35p per message
Data £3/MB up to max £1/day
Voicemail 90115p per call
O2 Customer Service (4445)25p per call from O2 mobile
O2 Customer Service (0344 809 0222)As UK landline
International calls and texts from UKSee o2.co.uk/international
Using your phone when abroadSee o2.co.uk/abroad
Premium rate numbersSee o2.co.uk/premium
05, 08 and 07 service numbers including calls and texts to Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man mobilesSee o2.co.uk/servicenumbers
O2 Directories 118402 £1/min
Video calls 50p/min
Free callsSee o2.co.uk/free
Access charge for service numbers
Message 14 of 18

la7
  • 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The invitation criteria

1. Be polite

2. Speak only to retentions not customer service

3. explain its for occasional use (e.g spare basic non smart phone)

Message 15 of 18

la7
  • 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OP also has the option of tesco mobile lite tariff calls are 8p text 4p tesco use o2 and are half owned by o2

http://www.tescomobile.com/help-and-support/1818-call-charges/1819-pay-as-you-go/pay-as-you-go-lite-...

Message 16 of 18

MI5
  • 143451 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
My mother is on that Tesco tariff too.
Another option is giffgaff which is wholly owned by O2.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 18

la7
  • 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Asda mobile is also good it runs on EE so has a better 3g network, On asda calls are 8p on asda and you can buy a bundles that will give you 6gb of data for £20 much cheaper than o2 and Asda customer service is excellent https://mobile.asda.com/bundles

Message 18 of 18