cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"O2 basic" - is it a unicorn?

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 BASIC PAYG tariff via retentions:

I've just spent an incredibly frustrating and fruitless hour on the phone to O2 retentions department being informed that no such tariff exists, or ever has within living memory.  Those of you who have it are delusional, apparently.

Can anyone teach me the secret password or handshake or raindance I need to know in order to have O2 retentions say "OOOOOHHHHH - you mean THAT basic tariff? with the 15p  minute call charge.  No problem"

Please help!

I want this PAYG for my young daughter who will be severely restricted on which numbers she can call (mine and husband's) - there will be no texts at all used, and data will be limited to whatever is required to keep her children's smartwatch functioning as a GPS tracker.  No downloading / streaming / browsing.

It is for a childs' smartwatch with SIM that a child can use to call parents, and parents can call child and also track them through a location app.

I do not need a big bundle of nonsense, and I do not anticipate high useage.  (although as we establish exactly what useage will look like, I want to avoid any nasty surprises) I don't want credit to expire at the end of the month, and I don't want 30p per minute costs either.

Is this tariff urban legend?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

No it's not urban legend @Anonymous We have always understood the Basic Tariff has to be requested...so not sure why you aren't being helped?

Edited to add....giffgaff do some simple payg tariffs...they use O2 as well...https://www.giffgaff.com/compare-pay-as-you-go-tariffs

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 18

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

Hi there @Anonymous,

In store we would only be able to place customers on the Big Bundle or Big Talker tariffs, we wouldn't be able to place customers on legacy tariffs. I imagine that there could be similar policies within the retentions team. The Big Talker is the standard pay as you go tariff though, you just top up and your usage is deducated from your credit. You could always lodge a complain with customer services though if you've heard that this is something that's being offered to other customers?

Hope this helps

Message 3 of 18

MI5
  • 144185 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Get a giffgaff sim.
It will be much easier unless you call back to O2 and get an semi educated person the next time.
http://giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's offered to customers if they know about it & ask for it so don't know why the OP was denied it

Message 5 of 18

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Perhaps @Toby can investigate whether this is indeed still available. I thought it was still offered by retentions.

Message 6 of 18

MI5
  • 144185 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Perhaps @Toby can investigate whether this is indeed still available. I thought it was still offered by retentions.

Didn't we do this just a short time ago and it was confirmed that it was still available?

It's likely just another case of apathy within CS.......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 18

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 8 of 18

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys, We never like to see a customer leave O2, whether they’ve been with us for only a few days, weeks, or even years. Customer’s needs, requirements and situations can change so we have a dedicated retentions team who will do their best to meet each customers demands as best they can. Some of these demands may be down to costs or tariffs and the team will analyse what options may be available for them. Some of these options would not be available by request, as each case is looked at on an individual basis.

Sorry to hear this wasn't available to you carrot. The team would have listened to your needs and requirements and would have looked at all possible options that would have been available to you. slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 18

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Hi guys, We never like to see a customer leave O2, whether they’ve been with us for only a few days, weeks, or even years. Customer’s needs, requirements and situations can change so we have a dedicated retentions team who will do their best to meet each customers demands as best they can. Some of these demands may be down to costs or tariffs and the team will analyse what options may be available for them. Some of these options would not be available by request, as each case is looked at on an individual basis.

Sorry to hear this wasn't available to you carrot. The team would have listened to your needs and requirements and would have looked at all possible options that would have been available to you. slight_smile

So is the Basic tariff still available but only to qualifying and high spend customers? Doesn't really answer the question? 

Message 10 of 18