cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pay monthly contract

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI, 

I TOOK OUT 24 MONTHS CONTRACT IN JULY THIS YEAR WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO GIVE THE CONTRACT TO SOMEONE ELSE?  OR WILL I NEED TO SEE THROUGH THE 24 MONTH CONTRACT?

I AM A STUDENT AND CANT REALLY AFFORD THE MONTHLY PAYMENTS ANYMORE 

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED 

THANK YOU 

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If you mean someone takes over the contract, uses it and makes payments then yes you can do that. Be aware though that the account will still be in your name and you will still have responsibility for the payments should the other person not pay.

You can't transfer the account into their name either. One option would be to sell the phone and pay off the remainder of the account.

If you are on a refresh contract you have the option to pay off the handset part and then end the airtime cdontract without further penalty. Again you could sell the phone to enable you to put the money towards paying off the handset.

Unfortunately people do jump into a 2 year contract without thinking of the long term implications.

I don't see any further options open to you to be honest.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If you mean someone takes over the contract, uses it and makes payments then yes you can do that. Be aware though that the account will still be in your name and you will still have responsibility for the payments should the other person not pay.

You can't transfer the account into their name either. One option would be to sell the phone and pay off the remainder of the account.

If you are on a refresh contract you have the option to pay off the handset part and then end the airtime cdontract without further penalty. Again you could sell the phone to enable you to put the money towards paying off the handset.

Unfortunately people do jump into a 2 year contract without thinking of the long term implications.

I don't see any further options open to you to be honest.

Message 2 of 10

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Agree, pretty much ^^^what he said^^^
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you have any Bolt On's or O2 Insurances you could cancel ?
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this is definately possible through EE, Vodafone and O2 Business, I cannot see why O2 consumer should be any different.

As long as the person who would like to take ownership your O2 number/account passes a credit check, they will be given an account number. All you would then need to do is complete a Transfer Of Ownership form (available in an O2 shop i'm sure) and transfer from one account to the other.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Transfer of ownership is only possible with business accounts on O2.
They used to allow it for consumer contracts but it was stopped a short while back - No idea why but the only way out now, as already mentioned, is to pay your way out.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Transfer of ownership is only possible with business accounts on O2.
They used to allow it for consumer contracts but it was stopped a short while back - No idea why but the only way out now, as already mentioned, is to pay your way out.

I'm surprised O2 have stopped this for consumers....EE and Vodafone still allow this.

It still might be worth a phone call to O2 customer services!!

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

redtitbit wrote: 

It still might be worth a phone call to O2 customer services!!

I'm sure they will confirm what myself and jonsie have said wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure they will confirm what myself and jonsie have said wink

Jaw-dropping cheeky!!!

Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

This question has cropped up numerous times on consumer accounts and unless O2 have changed their policy, it won't be possible.

Message 10 of 10