cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ordered new phone- how to keep number?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hiya I have just ordered a new phone through 02 (was already on 12 month simplicity but upgraded early)

as the phone will be coming with a new nano sim and a new number, do I ring customer services once I have the phone to get my old number transferred?

Also, if this new sim is activated does it mean my old one will be cut off and someone else could potentially get my number in the meantime?

Thanks in advance, Stace

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure, I understand.

Ok, that's fine then if you ordered it as an upgrade, O2 will send you the phone and the new sim card will be in the box, but the sim card will just be blank (no new number will be associated to it)

So when you receive the new phone and sim card, if you go to www.o2.co.uk/swapmysim you can fill in your details and the mobile number you want to keep will just swap over from your current sim to the new sim card for you. It can take between 2 and 24 hours for the number to transfer across but normally it will go through within a couple of hours.

Job done slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Stacey

Did you order your new phone on contract as an upgrade, or was it a brand new contract you took out for the phone?

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

erm.. i was on a 12 month simplicity and upgraded to a 24 month contract (my phone broke so needed something where i got a free phone too)

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure, I understand.

Ok, that's fine then if you ordered it as an upgrade, O2 will send you the phone and the new sim card will be in the box, but the sim card will just be blank (no new number will be associated to it)

So when you receive the new phone and sim card, if you go to www.o2.co.uk/swapmysim you can fill in your details and the mobile number you want to keep will just swap over from your current sim to the new sim card for you. It can take between 2 and 24 hours for the number to transfer across but normally it will go through within a couple of hours.

Job done slight_smile

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

ah brilliant- thank you for your help! haven't changed sims or anything in a long time, had this sim for about 12 years now back in the old BT cellnet days ! x

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're very welcome slight_smile

Wow that sim card has served you well then! I think that may be a record for the oldest working sim card... almost seems a shame for you to have to discard it after all this time...

Oh just one more thing, remember to back up your contacts if they are saved to your old sim, before you complete the transfer, so you don't lose any important numbers.

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes it has served me well! been on 02 since i was 12 (am now 24!) I have copied all my contacts and saved all pictures to laptop slight_smile thanks for reminding me x

Message 7 of 7