cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 travel payg - please clarify

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am struggling to wade through the whole thread on o2 travel, so apologies if this has been covered,.

Context:

I am on PAYG, going to Germany next month for a week.

Will text back to UK maybe a couple of times a day, and also text to other UK phone in same place as me. Might want to use a bit of mobile data, might not, depending on wifi in hotel.

Should I be on O2 travel bolt on or not? I have used it whilst abroad before, and only when I used mobile data was it activated and I paid the daily fee.

My confusion lies I think with any differences between this new O2 travel on payg and pay monthly.

Is the PAYG o2 travel much the same as it always was, or is it too now activated by a single text as I understand the pay monthly one is?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 36
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

PAYG is the same as contract in that one text will trigger the daily charge.
The key to in or out is really data usage. If you are a low data user you are better off opting out but high data use would benefit from opting in.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-abroad/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

PAYG is the same as contract in that one text will trigger the daily charge.
The key to in or out is really data usage. If you are a low data user you are better off opting out but high data use would benefit from opting in.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-abroad/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 36

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Standard, non travel rates can be found here http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad

Currently using:
Message 3 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, that was the way I had interpreted it from what I read on the long thread.

However the 02 website doesn't seem to me to make it overly clear - eg on http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/pay-and-go-data-roaming-charges-and-o2-travel-terms-an...

eg

"It lets you talk, send texts and use the internet while you're away, without worrying about overspending. If you're a Pay Monthly customer, you'll pay a single fixed daily rate to get the minutes, texts and data you need in selected destinations. If you're a Pay As You Go customer, it's all about the data"

and

"A daily charge of £1.99 will be applied automatically on the days that you use data in the selected destinations and you'll receive a daily data allowance of 100MB for use in these destinations"

Message 4 of 36

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
No, I agree it isn't very clear.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Though the link http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/pay-and-go-data-roaming-charges-and-o2-travel-terms-an... clearly states O2 Travel Pay and Go terms....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 36

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
That was the link posted by the OP......

Currently using:
Message 7 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
That was the link posted by the OP......

I realise that @MI5 it was the one I clicked on!

I thought it was clear enough as it was titled O2 Travel payg.?

Maybe me.... but I read it and it seemed to make perfect sense.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 36

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
But it just talks about data - no mention of calls or texts....

Currently using:
Message 9 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
But it just talks about data - no mention of calls or texts....

Ah yes. I probably read it and was clear to me ...as I understand it. We have had enough discussions about it since March...so this must be the reason, Probably. Smiley Indifferent

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 36