cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 texting problem

Anonymous
Not applicable

Checked my account and found that I have been billed £22.98 for messages. As I have unlimited texts i phoned o2 and asked why. They told me that I had sent 69 picture messages in the space of less than an hour to my wifes phone and that I had even sent 4 picture messages in 4 minutes,. My wife does not even own a picture messaging phone, just a bog standard phone. Have told o2 that I am being ripped off and want some urgent investigation. This is not the first time o2 have ripped me off. Last month I was charged 33p extra for sending a picture message to my wifes phone. Which I never did. They even asked me to rate my experience with them so I gave them 1 out of 5. They said they would get back to me. STILL WAITING. Would not recommend o2 to my friends.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

If you inserted smiley faces etc they will go as mms.

Here is an informative explanation thread http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...

Also http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mob...

If You feel the situation is incorrect then make it official here http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/complain
Message 2 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that if you SEND anything regarded as MMS you will still be charged for them whether or not they are received?

I mention this as you say your wife has a bog standard phone which cant get mms....

Obviously your phone can send them (even smilies etc) so that may be an explanation....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes Cleoriff that's correct.

Mms are charged wether received or not.

Also mms can still be read if sent to a non smart phone via http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2/picturemessages
Message 4 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes if you send mms to a bog standard phone it will still be charged as an mms I would say you have been inserting smilies or if the texts are extra long they can also convert to mms it's very easy and expensive to get caught out
Message 5 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

There you go then lads...something I got right Smiley Very Happy

Actually I was sure that was the case as a similar thing happened to a couple of friends. One with a smartphone ..one without... there was a bill query involved

It is amazing though how many people are still unaware of how sms can be converted to mms slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
With so many alternatives to MMS now available it's possibly time the networks dropped charging extra for using it. But as it generates extra income I doubt it.

What's app , viber, iMessage , e mail To name a few.

I choose to toggle mms off
In my iPhones settings. slight_smile
Message 7 of 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

With the alternatives like whatsapp,bbm you also see that they are delivered and read.

Message 8 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Or at least bring the price of it down Vodafone do a 100mms bolt on for £2.50 yet O2 charge £5.11 for 50 twice the price and half the allowance
Message 9 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue is that my phone has no record of sending them and my wifes phone has no record of receiving any texts!!! That's the issue. I am being charged for 69 picture messages in 52 minutes to the SAME phone!!! I did not send 69 pict messages to my wife who at that time was sat right next to me!. Our phones have no records that these were sent...but O2 insist on charging me for them!

Message 10 of 25