cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6 mistakenly locked to O2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here in desperation as I did something rather silly when I received my iphone 6 from car phone warehouse on Vodafone. As I constantly need to use the number I have,and my old phone was far past it's best, I put my O2 sim into my new iphone 6. BIG mistake I now know...the phone is locked to O2, and after two phone calls to two very helpful O2 operators, two separate unlock requests have been sent but the second one runs out in just a few hours and is looking unsuccessful. Apple can't do anything, although they held a three way conversation with O2 for me to try and help. Vodafone are "looking into it" with no promise of timescale or resolution. Car phone warehouse have suggested that I won't be able to return it (this was apples only solution) under 14 day cooling off period as it isn't in the condition I received it ie; now locked to a different network! Meanwhile the number I need to use has been offline for nearly a week as it was being ported to Vodafone and I need this for my small business as it on flyers, my website, Facebook and Twitter pages, leaflets and advertising!
Can anybody suggest anything to get O2 to unlock this phone as that is by far the easiest option to resolve this mess that admittedly is my own stupid fault? 😞
Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well another 72 hours up today so another call to O2 to be met by the most rude, dismissive, and unhelpful person I've had the misfortune to deal with in any capacity. He continued to tell me I had no chance of getting the phone unlocked as Apple don't let them unlock them, when I asked if he'd read the notes on my account including the conference call with Apple me and O2 he seemed to go a bit quiet before r praying that O2 don't unlock iPhone 6 (contrary to what it says on their website!) I asked to speak to his manager who I was warned "would only tell you the same as me" Well he did to an extent, except he wouldn't be able to do anything about it for another 5 days or so. I got the high complaints details from him (after he asked if I would like it texting to me on the number I can't use!!)
All in all very frustrating, so imagine my surprise when half an hour later, when a very helpful lady called me back whom is spoken with previously to confirm the phone had been unlocked! Quick plug in to iTunes and I'm sat typing I. It now!
At last!!

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

You're not alone with doing this as people were buying the iPhone 5 from CPW on payg at full retail price and they too locked out. Very naughty of CPW imo.

Apple won't get too involved as the phone was not purchased from their outlets. Theirs DO NOT lock out to the 1st sim when bought full retail price. The ones bought with contracts do which is why they are keen for the person to activate the iPhone in store

O2 are not unlocking the iPhone 6 models yet and only typically do when the handset plan is fully paid off on a refresh tariff,and or normally around 6 months after product launch.

Normally when O2 do allow unlocking it's free to contract customers and £15 to payg customers. They do not place a 12 month waiting time on payg iPhone owners like they do with most other models of payg phone.

Your only hope really is Vodaphone and O2 chatting and helping you out on an individual basis.

One other extreme option is to sell the locked to O2 iPhone and use the funds to buy a sim free one from Apple Shop then you can use any sim ~ or look at places such as CEX on the high street who buy and sell phones. Either option may result in you losing a bit of money.
Message 2 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the advice, I'm hoping O2 and Vodafone can sort this between themselves. I'll call again today and see if they will escalate the unlock request, as the second time it was sent all of the above details were added, I'm thinking someone just that there going "iphone 6, bin that one" ! Starting to really worry about the business I'm losing as a result of this though 😞
Message 3 of 21

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

My friend recently had a bad experience with Vodaphone trying to unlock her iPhone.  It was unlocked........eventually - after numerous calls, webchats and visits to the store.

Fingers crossed you sort it out in a quicker timescale.

Please let us know how you get on slight_smile

Message 4 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, I will, when I called Vodafone yesterday the response I got was "why would you do that!?"
Message 5 of 21

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I helped my friend complete countless unlock request forms online and none of them worked.  The only request that worked was when we went to the Vodaphone store and the sales assistant did the form for her on their intranet.

Message 6 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Slight difference here as vodaphone has not locked it so they won't be able to unlock it.

Only O2 can.

Do you have your previous phone that you can use until you come to a conclusion.

I know this is frustrating but you did 'try' out the O2 sim in the phone and your relying on some form of customer service goodwill for the networks to entertain you.

Remember they - the networks - didn't even supply the hardware , CPW did.

It's a shame they can't / wont help.

Have you been in touch with their customer services Dept or in store if you picked it up to see if they can assist.
Message 7 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi RTY1980,

This is what I call an interesting one Crazy but I think maybe there is hope... Unfortunately it may not be the answer that u were after but it's better than nothingSad

O2 should unlock it for you, I'm assuming the o2 sim is pay and go, so it needs to be topped up and used with the phone. It will require a £15 top up to pay for the unlatching code but it cannot be done just yet as the phone was not sold by o2 and pay and go are still not unlocking Iphone 6.

So basically it can be done but not just yet.They r simply not able to generate the codes just yet...Wish I had better news but...Sad

Message 8 of 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Sadly I don't see any other alternative to this. I too think your best option is selling the phone and buying simfree to use your voda simcard, otherwise you are just waiting for O2 to unlock the sixes.

Is porting the number to O2 out of the question ie. vodafone contract?

Message 9 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It is only O2 that can unlock this phone for you. Voda or CPW will not be able to help.
The process is detailed here in this community guide http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 21